Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,649   Online: 1069

Thread: Minority report

Shooter
    35mm

Minority report

Over the Christmas holidays I watched 'Minority report'.This is a sci-fi film (movie) set in the 2050s. I was delighted to see that in the film the estranged wife of the Tom Cruise character was a photographer who used a darkroom to produce B&W prints. Given that it came out in 2002, I hope that this vision of the photographic future turns out to be true. Sadly, in one respect it may already have proved false in that there were lots of big yellow boxes on the shelves of her darkroom.

Les

Shooter
    Large Format
    Funny! Weird how directors never show the "professionals" how they really look: clicking the mouse in front of a computer. There are always those freak trays and that retrò red light.
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    last weekend there was this movie about a missing kid that's recognised by his mother after 12 years, I don't remember the title.

The mother is a pro photographer (Nikon & 'Blad) with a real darkroom. I was disturbed to see that she entered the darkroom in full daylight WITH 3 massive safelights on and the window uncovered :-D

G
    Last edited by argus; 01-13-2006 at 04:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This seems to be a common portrayal of photography by movie makers. I saw a film last year. 'Photographing Fairies', about an Edwardian photographer who discovers a hallucinogenic plant and tries tp photograph his 'visions'. The film shows him developing 8x10 prints in a farnhouse kitchen in broad daylight. Not only that but he puts his hand right in the dev to swirl the paper about, then takes several sheets straight out of the tray and walks out of the door with them! Also I only remember seeing one tray!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite is in "The Great Muppet Caper" (the one in London) where Fozzie is using a Graflex and catches the crime on film. They get the print developed and Gonzo or someone opens the door to the darkroom and the entire picture disappears instead of turning black. And, of course, that print was the _only_ evidence of the real culprit, (i.e. Charles Grodin).
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ghostbusters II

If memory serves they use a industrial deep fryer and serving tongs to develop the prints of "Vigo"
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Ghostbusters II he is using a Plaubel Proshift 6x9. He fires off about ten frames w/o ever advancing the film...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bugs me when they do that. It's like in the old films where the driver keeps talking to the passenger without looking at the road.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    or those B action flicks were 6 shooters can fire 27 times without reloading...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin