Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,436   Online: 824

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Globs of glue? on enlarging lens

This is annoying.

After a few run-arounds and false leads, I finally won a bid on a Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm enlarging lens from eBay. The seller stated that it was in pristine, mint condition and sent it over from the US. I was away on holiday when it arrived, and did not collect it until a week ago upon my return.

The interior glass of the lens looked like someone had dropped two small globs of glue on it. There's a hardened, clear substance on the lens, both on the edges... but the rest of the lens appears new with hardly a scratch on it. I don't know what to do. I tried some lens cleaning fluid but the gobs would not budge. I fear that trying any other solvents might just ruin the lens coating as well.

I could demand my money back from the seller, but it has gone beyond the 7 day return period as I was away on holiday, and I don't really want to incur the costs of postage etc. yet again.

I still don't know what the clear substance is, but it may well be something like superglue.

Does anyone know if something like this could be "repaired"?

Jin

Shooter
    35mm
    It might be repairable but more expense than it is worth. Mount the lens on your enlarger and make a test print stopped down 1 and 2 stops. If the gobs are at the edge it may make no difference whatsoever.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can get access to the globs, they should scrape off with a razor blade or hobby knife. Even the cement used to cement elements together could be scraped off once it's dry.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is that 7 day return option of the seller, or is that eBay? I have wondered about eBay's support of contentious deals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd try enlarging with it, at your usual enlarging size and see what happens. When enlarging 6x6 I'm rarely any wider than f/16 myself, so I suspect that you may be ok.

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, reckon you should be OK stopped down, but globs of anything on a lens doesn't sound right. You could enquire about a return despite it is past the stipulated date. A good seller will agree.

Having said that, if the glass is v. good and it is not affected by the globs, I wouldn't try to fix it. I've made many a reasonable lens worse by trying to make it better. one day I will learn.

Geoff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin