Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,340   Online: 929

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    Does anyone have a photo or drawing of the Jobo insert used in the 3063 drum to develop 3 sheets of 7x17? My idea is to fabricate a similar insert for testing.
    I never heard of such an insert. The ones formerly available, if memory serves, were designed for single large sheets, e.g. 11x14, 14x17, etc. They were made by Jobo USA in Michigan and are therefore no longer available new.

Hoping to link you to an insert photograph, I just looked at Omega Satter's rehosted Jobo pages, but they've done a thorough job of removing references to these drums/inserts for large sheet film. It doesn't seem likely that someone could create duplicates at home without the vacuum forming equipment Jobo used to manufacture them. They appeared to be clear sheets of some plastic material (polyester?), a bit larger than the intended film, with raised "clips" formed around their perimeters under which the film was inserted.

At this point the best DIY approach may be to place the film on some plastic window screen material and insert that combination into a drum. There have been reports elsewhere of success using this method.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, so I didn't search hard enough. Omega Satter hasn't removed the page after all, and the inserts were for 11x14 and 16x20 film. Here you go:

http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/instr...isc_302728.htm

The illustrations might help.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    OK, so I didn't search hard enough. Omega Satter hasn't removed the page after all, and the inserts were for 11x14 and 16x20 film. Here you go:

http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/instr...isc_302728.htm

The illustrations might help.
    Sal,

Before searching the whole site, did you see a link or location where you could order the inserts? Do you think they could be modified for 7x17?

Thanks,

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    ....At this point the best DIY approach may be to place the film on some plastic window screen material and insert that combination into a drum. There have been reports elsewhere of success using this method.
    This sounds like a very, very good idea. Thanks!
    —Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hopefully someone else can add on to this and with detective work solve your problem. Some months before Jobo shut down their operations in the US I had a long chat with one of the two long time technicians about what parts I should stockpile for my 2300. We then strayed to what he was going to do and he mentioned that he had been doing mods on the larger print tanks for years so they could be used for ULF film ... he noted he hoped to keep on doing this independently. Since I shoot nothing larger than 810 I filed away the info and hve now forgotten the details.

Can anyone fillin with more?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Sal,

Before searching the whole site, did you see a link or location where you could order the inserts? Do you think they could be modified for 7x17?

Thanks,

John Powers
    I coincidentally came across a printed copy of the above linked Jobo page this afternoon that reminded me they were referring to the combinations of their large print drum and inserts as #3027 and #3028 for 11x14 and 16x20 film respectively. That made the second search easy!

Those inserts definitely cannot be ordered. Jobo in Germany did not make them; the now-defunct Jobo USA did. Unlike old Jobo USA, which had dedicated, technically expert rotary processing staff as well as some manufacturing capability, Omega Satter is a pure importer of what Jobo in Germany sends, along with a number of other lines of photographic equipment. The only reason that page remains available is that Omega Satter apparently didn't scrub the content; they seem to have simply rehosted everything that was on the Jobo USA Web site.

Even if one could get the Jobo inserts (I'm still kicking myself for not ordering some a few years ago), based on the vacuum-formed construction I don't think they would be modifiable for 7x17. Probably best to try the window screen backer approach.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    ...I had a long chat with one of the two long time technicians...he noted he hoped to keep on doing this independently...
    Ted, I was typing my post while you submitted yours. Do you remember which person it was? Ken Owen? With a name we could possibly track him down and determine whether he was successful bidder for the insert-making equipment when Jobo USA's assets were auctioned off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ted, I was typing my post while you submitted yours. Do you remember which person it was? Ken Owen? With a name we could possibly track him down and determine whether he was successful bidder for the insert-making equipment when Jobo USA's assets were auctioned off.
    Mark at Jobo in Ann Arbor used to make the inserts. I chatted to him about 10 months ago after he had left Jobo about perhaps continuing to make some of the inserts. At the time, he had moved to a small photo processing operation in Taylor, MI (I think it was in Taylor). He told me then that he could no longer make them as the dies and equipment used for making the inserts were still at Jobo in AA. So I contacted the two remaining people at Jobo again. To cut a long story short, the equipment which was used to make them at Jobo in Ann Arbor appears to have disappeared.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I had the same issues. I have an insert, it is made out of plastic, clear, stiff. It has plastic rivets to hold the film down.

I have been searching for the materials to make them, but have not been able to find the exact match.

An idea, however, is to use the plastic mesh used for needle point.

cut a sheet of it to fit the drum, use plastic bolts, like a size 8 or 10 to make the pins to hold the film in place. you will need 3 on the long sides and 2 on each end.

I have been looking for these for some time. I had a guy on APUG a long while back sell me what he said was a drum and the inserts. I got the drum, but not inserts and have not heard from him for some time. (I paid about $300 for a $150 drum as it turns out.)

I know of 2 that exist in England but the owner wont part with them.

That is the extent of what I know.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by Robert Hall; 01-11-2007 at 12:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling errors
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donsta View Post
    Mark at Jobo in Ann Arbor used to make the inserts. I chatted to him about 10 months ago after he had left Jobo about perhaps continuing to make some of the inserts. At the time, he had moved to a small photo processing operation in Taylor, MI (I think it was in Taylor). He told me then that he could no longer make them as the dies and equipment used for making the inserts were still at Jobo in AA. So I contacted the two remaining people at Jobo again. To cut a long story short, the equipment which was used to make them at Jobo in Ann Arbor appears to have disappeared.

Tell him to put it back.

When I talked to them about other needs, Rick or Rich (can’t read my note) the parts man went to Mark Williams to answer any serious questions. He sounded quite knowledgeable. Maybe Williams is the last name we are looking for. Maybe each one of us can put a piece in the puzzle. Maybe someone is just sitting on the machine waiting to see if there is a market for inserts. Who were the APUG or LF people who went to the auction? Possibly they know something.

John Powers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin