Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 671

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

JOBO 3063 Drum Inserts

Hi:

I am getting one of these drums and I was wondering if anyone can give me any info on finding inserts for them. I will process 12x20 film in them. I understand the inserts are no longer made by JOBO, but that it may be possible to fabricate them by hand.

I have never seen one of these inserts. Cany anyone upload a few pics of a 3063 insert? Has anyone ever made any?

Thanks for any assistance.

-R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've tried various solutions. If you use a staining developer, the only thing that works with any consistency (and still not 100% of the time) is the Jobo made insert. I finally found a 16x20 insert which works fine with 12x20, but you still need to pull the drum off and shake vigorously sideways every 2-3 minutes to avoid any banding...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Will a JOBO 2850 Print Drum, 16x20" (Is actually a #2830 drum with a #2870 extension module) process 12x20 ok? Does anyone know if there are inserts in this drum? Would the 3063 be better?

Thanks.

-R

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Is the 3063 the 20X24 drum?

If so, I have processed many sheets of 12X20 film without the use of an insert with nice results.

I have not used a staining developer...

Corey

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes, the 3063 is the 20x24 drum. I'm glad to hear of your results without the inserts. Do you use a JOBO processor? if so, does the film shifr around a lot inside the drum while processing? Has this cause any problems? Have you ever tried the 16x20 JOBO drum for 12x20?

Thanks.

-Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Reggie,

I realize that you are not getting the exact answers you want, but here is a little more information near enough to your subject that I hope will be helpful.

I process 7x17 in a Jobo CPP-2 using a 2830 drum with a 2560 extension. I have not been able to locate a film insert for this drum combination. I use Rollo Pyro, a two step staining developer. The developer instructions give the option of a second staining step, but everyone I have read here says don't do that. Kevin Sullivan of Bostick & Sullivan, the supplier of my Rollo Pyro said not to do the second stain run at the View Camera conference last summer. At the time he and Gordon Hutchings were teaching a class on Pyro developer.

I have developed a total of about 100 sheets of T Max 400 and HP4+ since I started shooting 7x17 last summer. I think the results have been interesting relative to this thread. I have had no marks on the film from the ridges that keep the film off the inside of the tank. The antihallation coating has always washed off in the five minute prewash that is suggested in the Rollo Pyro directions. I have only had one sheet of film not stay against the ribs throughout the process. My guess is that I didn't get it properly in place when loading. I have never taken the drum off the Jobo to shake it side to side as I was told I should and development has been even across the sheets.

One person's 100 sheet experience, not a lot, but all I have to offer. Hope it helps.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Does anyone have a photo or drawing of the Jobo insert used in the 3063 drum to develop 3 sheets of 7x17? My idea is to fabricate a similar insert for testing.
    —Eric

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Eric,

If you have some success with that I hope you will share or make them and sell them to the rest of us. It would be nice to do three sheets in the same time and effort it now takes to develop two.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    John--

I'm not that familiar with the 2830/extension you mention, so are you saying you develop 2 sheets at a time? I would be satisfied to develop 2 at a time, but one at a time takes forever. But still, I would prefer to do 3 at a time.
    —Eric

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Eric,

Yes, I develop two 7x17 sheets in the 2830 drum with a 2560 extension that I mentioned. When loading film two of the spaces between ribs are left over so there is no overlap. The spaces are roughly an inch each so there would not be enough room to go up a size to 11x14. The 2830 drum with a 2560 extension came with my Jobo CPP-2. It contained multiple 120 reels and a shaft. At the time I was shooting an RZ67 so it was useful there as well..

Two sheets at one time of course is better than one. Three at the same time in a 3063 would be even nicer. I have not seen the inside of a 3063 so I don't know how it compares to 2830 drum with a 2560 extension. What I have heard is that some respected people say you will get print through from the ridges. I have not. I don't know why we have had different experiences, but I am willing to buy a 3063 at $144 at B&H or used on Ebay and try it.

If you do find an insert for the 3063 and are successful in copying it, I would be most grateful to receive your design or happy to pay a reasonable price for a duplicate that I could use. I have fourteen sheets of exposed film sitting in a light tight box in my darkroom waiting for me to allocate seven to ten hours of developing. Five hours and an extra sheet of film would be an improvement.

John Powers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin