Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,948   Online: 792

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Storage bottles dev, fixer

Just wondering if I can store in a dark gallon jug, is it ok for oxidizing and stuff, I really dont want to have to use 4 1 litre bottles, too much storage, was thinking of laundry detergent jug, they come in dark colors, and in one gallon sizes. Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would not use a laundry detergent jug for storing chemistry due to the possibility of contamination. Just go to the photo store and buy one. I use 1 liter amber glass/safety coated bottles for all my developers. The stock solutions last for six months if the bottles are full and cap tighten. Really does not take up as much space as you many think. Write on the bottles your favorite developer and label the bottles 1-4.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use the collapsable brown bottles from the photo shop (or online) for developers that have a short shelf life (I mainly use Rodinal so no worries there!), and for fixer I typicaly just use the empty bottles that previous rounds of TF-4 have come in for the mixed stuff. You can't really mistake the concentrate for the mixed so it works out great.

If you are using powdered mixes, I would second the glass bottles comment, or at least use a collapsable bottle. Developers are, in my experience anyway, more susceptable to oxidation than things like fixer - and stop bath is virtualy eternal...

Never use containers that have had other chemicals in them. Not only are you running the risk of contamination, you could cause an unwated chemical reaction, especialy with cleaning agents.

- Randy

Images
    Those laundry detergent bottles are great. Thick, Opaque plastic. The time that I tried using them, I rinsed and rinsed and never got the suds and smell completely out of them. Eventually I decide against using them.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks guys, what about juice bottles ? Thinking of using a 1 litre one for my hypo clearing agent, maybe wrap double sided tape around it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm using...get this...24 ounce Pepsi bottles to store D76 in for use 1:1. I need 10 ounces at a time...so I'm a little off, but it'll still work pretty good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Do you use that with hypo clearing agent as well ? Wanna mix up some chemicals be ready when I get thermometer and photoflo, does the hypo stay better than developer?

Shooter
    35mm
    Conventional wisdom is that the best way to store chemicals is in glass bottles. If you must use plastic, consult this site. Summary: PET/#1 plastic, which is commonly used for soda bottles, is good for developers; HDPE/#2 plastic, which is commonly used for milk jugs, is not as good for developers but is good for stop baths and other acids. I mention soda and milk for identification purposes only; I wouldn't recommend re-using plastic bottles for storing critical chemistry. Given how difficult it is to get rid of odors, my hunch is that HPDE, in particular, absorbs chemicals and so is likely to contaminate whatever you next store in it. The collapsible bottles mentioned by reelis67 are generally made of HDPE and so may not be the best choice for storing developers.

For best storage, be sure your bottles are full. Some people use marbles to fill the volume as chemistry is poured out. I prefer storing chemistry in small bottles to begin with. (Some people, although not I, use bottles of precisely the size needed for developing a single roll of film, which guarantees they'll have no partly-filled bottles.) I've had good luck so far with glass bottles of various types. Snapple bottles are my mainstay; they hold just over 500ml, which I find to be a convenient volume for film chemistry. IBC root beer bottles hold just over 1l, which is good for longer-term storage of larger quantities and for storing print chemistry. I've got a few others in other sizes that work well, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks a lot, might go glass for developer and the PET for other chems , thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just posted a reply in the Best Thermometer thread about bottles. Pharmacy glass works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin