Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,542   Online: 1027

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Having seen the scans, I now agree with Nige; the marks around the film sprockets look like light leaks to me. I've seen this sort of thing when I've accidentally opened my camera back with film loaded. If the film back is immediately closed again, some shots are completely ruined, while earlier shots are still OK, but dark marks just like those on some of your strips appear. I'm just a bit puzzled about why they'd appear where they do but not overlap significantly into the frames themselves for any frames (unless maybe some between frames 1 and 5 are completely dark).

If I'm right, I wouldn't worry about flaws in that part of the roll, at least not with respect to your film development technique. Instead, just shoot another roll and judge from it, or judge based on later frames that are beyond the problem area. Of course, you should be sure you don't repeat whatever caused the massive light leak when shooting subsequent rolls.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm on the bandwagon with the "light leak" crew -- the dark marks the same shape as spocket holes are light falling through sprocket holes, either when the film was rolled or when it was on the reel. Rolled seems more likely -- the combination of sprocket and leader shadows is what I'd expect to occur if the cassette felts were pried apart some way after the film was rewound completely inside the cassette (perhaps in attempting to retrieve a leader with improvised tools, in bright light?).

I prefer to open my cassettes in the dark (with a bottle opener, if I bought commercially loaded film, or with fingers or fingernails if bulk loads), cut off the leader and start the film on the reel in the dark, etc. -- much more reliable than trying to always leave the leader out, and my hand cut leaders won't always pull back out past the felts if I wind the full width portion of the film in and leave only the cut leader protruding (which is hard to avoid with most of my cameras).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    After seeing the scans I think I'll jump ship and go with light leaks also. Thanks for posting them. It's much easier to diagnose with an image.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    I'm on the bandwagon with the "light leak" crew -- the dark marks the same shape as spocket holes are light falling through sprocket holes, either when the film was rolled or when it was on the reel. Rolled seems more likely -- the combination of sprocket and leader shadows is what I'd expect to occur if the cassette felts were pried apart some way after the film was rewound completely inside the cassette (perhaps in attempting to retrieve a leader with improvised tools, in bright light?).
    One film, so many mistakes!

I think you are right on the money here Donald, because I did try to retrieve the leader with a Jessops retriever tool, which didn't work, so in the end I went with the bottle opener in the dark instead. I'll know next time.

Thanks to everyone who replied about this, I am very grateful.

Kevin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin