Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,461   Online: 936

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Leica Focomat V35 help

I have received a donated Leica Focomat V35. John Doane sent it to me, to help rebuild my darkroom after Katrina. I am eternally grateful to John for such a wonderful gesture, and to everyone else who's kind words a donations have helped us tremendously.

I am looking online for help printing B&W with the color head. I mean to say what filtration is need to equal a 2.5 multigrade filter? Is there a chart available somewhere. Any help would be appreciated.

I am very excited at the prospect of printing at my own leisure and pace again. I am using a public darkroom wich is VERY nice but its not the same. If I get tired or frustrated I have to motor on, can't just put things aside and wait for the creative juices to start flowing again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look here: http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/Cont.pdf

The V35 uses the Durst system, 0 - 170

The Ilford page tells all !

don

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thank you Don, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One thing you have to watch on these is that as the bulbs change, so does the color. For example, 80Y may be fine now, but it could be a different contrast later if you use the enlarger a lot.

Basically, use more Yellow for lower contrast and more magenta for higher, and mix the two for everything in between. There are published guides given that will get you started (thanks Hans and Don!), but the beautiful thing about using a colorhead is that you can go between the grades and easily do split grade printing using only Y and M.

Good luck! The V35 is a killer enlarger -- you'll grow to love it a lot, if you do not do so already.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin