Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,803   Online: 1164

Shooter
    35mm RF

Only water needed in darkroom

I have been slowly rebuilding the remnants of the darkroom in my basement. I just had a new door installed, upgraded the electrical wiring so I can put a heater in it. (it was fed from the dining room and living room-don't ask). The windows have a blackout cloth over it. There is a sink in it with drainage and water hoses for feeds. I am in the process of finding a plumber to do the water, but I need to know what I should try to get. I bought a regulator off the auction site, but I need to know how to incorporate this altogether. The term water board keeps coming up, can someone explain this to me?

Thanks
    Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Looking through the darkroom photo thread might give you some ideas. This is a photo of mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20051230_IMG_0083.JPG   20051230_IMG_0079.JPG  
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mac
    ....The term water board keeps coming up, can someone explain this to me?
    Some manufacturers pre-assemble a filter and regulator and faucet, and attach it to a “board”, so that you only need to make one connection. I think that’s what the term refers to. I would prefer to assemble the components myself, to get everything placed exactly where I want in the darkroom.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jerold,
    I noticed in the photo that you have an electrical outlet very near your water supply. For you safety that outlet should be a GFI outlet. About a $15. item; just read the instructions befor installing, if installed in reverse it wont work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sure looks like a GFI to me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs003
    Jerold,
    I noticed in the photo that you have an electrical outlet very near your water supply. For you safety that outlet should be a GFI outlet. About a $15. item; just read the instructions befor installing, if installed in reverse it wont work.
    Those outlets are on a GFI circuit (that is what the electrician told me). So that if one trips they all trip rather than several individual GFI's. I took his word for that.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eric:

I suggest mapping out what you want to accomplish before getting a plumber involved. Otherwise, the plumber is likely to think in terms of their past experience - which more than likely does not include darkroom work. I also like the idea of bring hot and cold water out, then have all the connections exposed (as in Jerold's darkroom). Allows you to change later.

Jerold:
    Having recently corrected (or at least identified) some electrical errors by the licensed electricians doing the kitchen remodel, it might be worth verifying the GFI status. Just trip any or all GFIs and verify that there is no power to the darkroom outlets.

Also, I see that you have separate filters for hot and cold water and that all your water outlets are downstream of the temp controller (at least that's the way it looks). If the outlets are, in fact, downstream of the temp controller, is there an advantage in doing separate filters? I'm building a new darkroom and had planned to use one.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin