Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,037   Online: 1114

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

repair or replace?

Fellow Apuggers: My 20 year old Schneider Componon S 100mm f5.6 has developed a problem. The rear element(s) are covered in what at first glance looks like dust. Unfortunately, cleaning does not remove these spots and I'm now thinking it may be mildew or some similar problem. I've found a place that can repair (that is, resmooth, recoat etc) the affected elements for a lot less than the price of a replacement. Is this a viable option, given that I obviously need the lens to perform as before, or should I consider getting a new(er) example. Regards, BLIGHTY
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A lot less than new, or a lot less than you can get one on the bay? I can't imagine any repairs can be done for the price of an excellent one on the auction.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unless you know and trust that shop, they may end up doing more harm than good. Getting one on Ebay, you might want to try another brand, or even focal length, if that's possible.
    Good luck.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have never had a lens repolished abd coated. I check a gouple of years ago with a place that would provide that sertvice for Nikon lenses. My recollection is that it was 175 USD per surface. I would feel uneasy about having the crvature of that element changed. You have a third option. The spots may not be harming the qualty of the lens particularly if they are near the edge.
    I am guessing that you can get a replacement fir your lens and possibly even a better lens for less than $100USD on Ebay. I have bought quite a bit of equipment from Ebay w/o problems..
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fungus doesn't look like dust, it has a random walk pattern that is very distinctive.

Images
    Good Afternoon, Blighty,

I once had an 80mm Componon which gradually developed "cloudiness" (apparently on the internal surfaces of the elements). I didn't even consider a repair/cleaning. With excellent used enlarger lenses practically being given away these days, I'd definitely replace the lens with a newish Componon or similar Rodagon, El Nikkor, etc.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks folks,
    I must admit I was somewhat sceptical about getting my lens 're-done'. Many thanks, Blighty
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin