Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,256   Online: 812

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Interested in buying an RH Designs analyser Pro

I am interested in buying an RH designs Analyser Pro

Basically I need to increase the volume of prints I am producing. They have to be of nice acceptable quality and frankly I need to cut out the test strips for anything other than fine prints and blow ups, because of my time constraints.

I am guessing this is a good tool to achieve an increase in productivity?

Thanks for any advice,
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the anapro is perfectly calibrated for the paper you are using, a straight print can be made immediately.

M.
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just got one.
    It is a really wonderful tool that every darkroom worker should have!
    Its very well constructed, easy to use, has all the functions you need and you will be surprised how the whol thing works.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, they are excellent tools - especially if you take the time to calibrate it to your paper batch.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Even without strict calibration to a paper type, it is an amazing workflow tool. I know it comes out of the factory calibrated to Ilford Multigrade. I found through experimentation that Kentmere papers have a very similar response curve. Bergger VCCB (warmtone) is about 1- 1 1/2 stops slower.

The Analyzer Pro will get you to a good work print within 2 prints, usually on the first print. You'll still have to figure out your burn and dodge for specific areas, but it makes a big difference and turns a darkroom chore into a pleasure. You still have to learn the tool and the way it thinks to get it right. If you give it the wrong highlight and shadow areas to read, it will give you as bad a print as you would get from guesstimating. It is still up to you to decide what contrast to apply, and what level of dmax you want on the print. The Analyzer will just help you get there with its contrast scale and fstop increments.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can confirm all of what has been said above. Since the price doesn't seem to be a big issue with you, you might also consider getting the stopclock timer, which works in conjunction with the Ana-pro.

It is neat in that it sets up printing "plans", where by you get the base exposure, given by the analyzer, then you can add seperate exposures for burning in, etc. As you probably know, it is f-stop based. So, for example, you can have a base exposure of 16 seconds, then the enlarger turns off, and you could have a second step in your plan which is a 1/3 burn in of an area, and a seperate step which is a 1/4 stop burn in, etc. You just hit a button, or foot switch, to begin the next step in your "plan".

The stopclock also has an audible metronome, which can be turned off or on, which is kind of helpful too. Also, the stopclock will program a test print, where you can do a series of exposures across the print, and user defined fractions of an f-stop.

This equipment is not cheap, but comes with good documentation, and has really been worth the money for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might consider the Zonemaster II and a Stopclock Pro. The Zonemaster is essentially the same as the An Pro in terms of the metering probe and grey scale. Linking it to the Stopclock Pro allows you to program in a complete printing sequence, something that isn't possible on the AN Pro alone.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin