Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,275   Online: 865

Thread: One reel

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

One reel

Iwant to go shoot the rest of the roll in my camera, and would like to develop tonight , what are the best ways to go about doing one reel in a 2 reel patterson tank. I usually wait to do 2 reels at a time. should I use same amounts of chemicals or just do enough for one reel and load up the other empty reel so it doesnt move around

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Definitely load up the other empty reel. Then it doesn't matter whether you use the usual amount, or enough to cover the single reel, but make sure you put a bit extra in just in case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I always put the loaded reel on the bottom, and an empty reel on top. Then, I fill the tank to the brim, as usual. In my mind, using less developer risks uneven development and over-aggitation effects of the fluid sloshing past the film.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm
    I use enough to cover the reels I've got. That's 250ml for my 2-roll (of 35mm) stainless steel tank with one roll. My AP tank nominally requires 325ml for one 35mm roll, but I round that up to 350ml because it's easier to measure with 1+1 dilutions. I've almost never seen uneven development with this procedure, and when I have, there have always been other factors that have seemed like more plausible explanations than a tank that's filled to less than capacity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are obviously using the inversion method and I assume processing 35mm. With a Paterson System 4 tank for 1 spool of film you should use 300ml of solution. The only risk factor is the spool slipping down the column when the tank is inverted so make sure that you use the locking collar which is designed to prevent this.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well what a panic I had with that one reel. Was out shooting last night practicing night shots , I havent got a decent night shot yet. Out with the tripod Canon AE1 and ventured around in the car checking out a new area with my camera, and it was -20 in Toronto last night almost got frostbite, had no gloves, man was it cold !! Found cool locations and plan to go back, I blasted off the rest of the roll, was excited to see how these turned out, lithium batteries rock, shutter didnt stick once. When I was loading reel in changing bag it got stuck sort of came off the reel, didnt know what to do. I think it was because I didnt cut enough of the leader off, it was curled a bit the other way, I took my hands out worrying that light would get in the bag, checked if my bathroom was light proof, didnt want to unravel the roll in the bag , but ended up doing just that, bathroom not dark enough. Developing them I figured they were ruined maybe a bit of light got in the bag when I took my arms out, to my surprise the roll came out alright, and I think my bracketing produced a couple of decent shots. From now on gotta make sure end of rool isnt curled the other way.Glad all that work in the freezing cold wasnt wasted. I think im going to get rubber surgical gloves to load reels as well, for the sweaty hands in changing bag

Shooter
    35mm
    I've found that if I don't cut the film leader off, I get the same problem you describe. It binds up and can get real frustrating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Almost every place I have lived in has a wardrobe (closet). I find that these are the best places to load film.

I usually find a cardboard box, stand it on it's end, you have a changing table. Add a small stool or smaller wooden box, you have a chair.

I then place these inside the wardrobe and load film, sweaty hands free.

Just a thought.

Mick.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin