Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,685   Online: 1142

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Negative carrier

I have an LPL 7700 enlarger having negative carrier with only glassless inserts for full frame 35 mm (I took enlarger second hand as is). Now I started shooting 6x6 and need another negative carrier or inserts for 6x6. Checking B&H and Adorama shows that there are two options, either Universal Carrier for LPL 6700 /670 with glass (seems, 670 is the same as 7700) or glassless carrier for 6x6. As a temporary solution I print on crappy Krokus 4 enlarger with its own glass universal carrier without problems, except very annoying dust on four glass surfacess, but the negative is flat.

My concerns are about glassless carrier for relatively 'big' 6x6 negative, could it keep my negatives sufficiently flat? Even 35mm negatives in glassless carriers are not really flat, anyway I get prints in focus from corner to corner.

Another questions is: in case I would need a full frame print from 6x6 it will be possibly only with glass carrier, am I right?

Thanks in advance for your advices.
    Best regards,
    Evgeny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The glass carrier will keep the negatives flatter however the glassless 6x7 and 645 carriers I use are adequate for my usual 8"x10" and 12"x16" prints and a lot easier to keep clean. You'll probably notice a difference with larger prints. Yes, the glassless carriers lose you a small amount of the negative - you could file them out slightly (and repaint the edge) or go with the universal glass carrier which has adjustable masks. Although they are supplied with the 6x7 mixing box if your enlarger was bought second hand it'd be worth confirming this is still the case as a 35mm mixing box is available which won't be usable with medium format film.

Roger.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Thanks Roger.

Could you tell me what size is frame opening for 6cm of un-filed glassless carrier? I'll try to make myself inserts to see whether it suits me before I buy anything.

By the way, my enlarger is 6x7 ready, just carrier is needed. Anyway thanks for pointing.
    Best regards,
    Evgeny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have a 6x6 glassless carrier but the 6cm side of my 645 and 6x7 carriers are exactly 55.00mm according to my vernier. The top is a millimetre or so larger. Hope that helps.

Roger.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin