Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,554   Online: 890

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Non't forget tongs!!
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon
    Finally, install your ventilation system to pull air directly across your developing surface, so fumes are not rising past your eyes. In my case, I brought the air intake down the wall in a big 4" ABS pipe, and ran it along 12" above my wet bench, drilling holes in it so it would suck air along its length. In my case, I went further and installed two fans, one to pull air out and one to push air in, so I can get positive or negative pressure.
    It is actually much easier to push air across the sink's surface than to pull it.

See what I mean with the description of my ventilation system here

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...68147#poststop

and here

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...70161#poststop

regards
    Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    rubber mats - standing on cement all the time is a real bummer.

drying racks

make sure you have storage shelves

(if you need to worry about dust, maybe a drop ceiling)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't forget the jacuzzi and the massage bench. There is nothing like getting a massage and then relaxing in the bubble bath while agitating a bit the film tank.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Four overhead outlet boxes, each one centered on one side of the garage, each outlet controlled by a separate switch, into which you can plug safelights. Requires a bit more wiring and conduit, but gives you a lot of flexibility.

An electrician to install a breaker box between the circuit which feeds the garage, and the things you intend to put inside.

Auxillary T connections in your water supply to the sink, terminating in brass pipe adapters, so that you can add an additional heater/cooler unit.

An easily-changeable cartridge filter in your cold water line.

Shutoff valves ahead of the auxillary T connections (and, in the cold water line, ahead of the filter) so you can change the cold water filter, add those water accessories, and change faucet washers.

At least one sink as deep as the standard laundry room unit.

Good luck.

/s/ David Beal ** Memories Preserved Photography, LLC
    David Beal
    Memories Preserved Photography, LLC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    easy access to paper towels at the wet side (not having to walk to get one is a plus)

'lunch trays' 'caffeteria trays' useful for examining prints under white light, you put the print on the tray (squeegee if needed) and you can rotate/tilt the tray all you want (avoiding reflections and such is hard when the print is stuck in 1 spot)

a way to turn on the white lights from very close to your wet side, very useful for examining test strips and work prints while they are still in the fix *flip on the light for a quick peek, find out its a junker, toss it in the nearby trash can and turn off the light and print another* all without doing more than reaching your arms out

have a lot of space for stuff that is around you when working on your enlargements, I think an ideal setup is something that surrounds you, if possible like a corner desk.., I work in this way and find it very useful compared to a normal counter.... i keep my printing paper and negatives and log book to my right side and my dodging/burning focusing sheets to my left side..... easier than having them all stacked up in the 2x2foot space i have available on a counter

a big comfy chair !!! <--- if you dont like standing around a lot youll surely want a chair, and if you plan on spending a lot of time in the darkroom you can avoid the *leaning over staring at prints in the developer achey back syndrome* by getting a chair and having a sink that wouldnt be above your shoulders while you sit in a chair in front of it..
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Beer fridge?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've just finished converting my third bedroom into a darkroom - got lots of great tips from these forums and was feeling pretty smug that I'd covered absolutely everything and I had the best darkroom in the world when I closed the door only to have the door-knob come off in my hand - luckily I was on the outside of the door! My tip is - check your door handles and make sure you have some means of contacting the outside world just in case - you know how sods law works - the impossible WILL happen, its only a matter of time. And aren't plumbers just your very favourite people?? When I asked mine for a 'ballpark' figure for installing the necessary he muttered a very acceptable price - after the work was finished he actually hand delivered the account which was about three times the 'ballpark' figure - luckily I was sitting down at the time and had a mouthfull of cake so my kneejerk reaction was fairly subdued. Can't print with 'em, can't print without 'em!
    I also built a set of drying racks under one side of the enlarger bench and because they're not closed off seemed to collect a ton of dust - so I attached velcro around all four sides, got a piece of rubber-sided curtain material, sewed velcro around that and just keep attached to front of racks when not in use - problem solved. Good luck with it all David, just accept that its going to cost a lot more than you think and have fun with it anyway.
    Patricia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bed and night stand...

If you're taking over the entire garage, the Mrs. will likely suggest that you retire to there as well; I know mine would...

Joe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin