Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,361   Online: 750

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

What am I going to forget (when building my darkroom)?

So I am about to turn my 2.5 car garage into a 10x12 darkroom with the rest making up a lighting studio.

The plumber has come and given me the outrageous estimate and will return in two weeks to do the work.

But as I prepare to put up the walls and to build the darkroom, I have to ask...

...what will I forget?

Any advice? Any must have features?

Thanks in advance,
    david b (almost in albuquerque)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    light tight ventilation system?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think you've already realised the most important thing - that you will forget something(s)!

My best advice is to act on this knowledge and allow plenty of additional space so you can add in the things you later find that you need!

Other than that, shelf and cupboard space (far, far more than you think you'll need), electrical outlets on the dry side (see shelf and cupboard space!)...

...and comfort! If you make your darkroom a pleasant place to be then you'll find excuses to be there, and vice versa. A few creature comforts go a really long way.

Here's hoping you have many happy hours/days/weeks in the finished product.

All the best,

Frank
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Large Format
    I wish I had a couple more electrical outlets in mine.....oh yea, and a master switch that turned all outlets on and off. A lot of my darkroom items don't have on/off switches so I have to unplug them in order to turn them off....quite the pain!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Consider allowing for enlargements much bigger than you think you'll ever make and build the wet side accordingly. If ceiling height is not fixed at this point, allow for a bigger enlarger than you already own. Also, consider processes (split toning, two bath developer etc.) that involve more trays than you are used to using which will need to be accomodated. Finally, overbuild the support for your print washer. A tank large enough to wash 16x20 prints weighs an enormous amount when full of water. Good luck. It sounds like your making a dream come true.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heating that generates no light and heat insulation + a radio/CD that generates no light.

David.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Wander through the "Darkroom Portraits" thread and see what everyone else forgot. It only has 262 posts and 38,619 views at this time. In the three years that I have had my darkroom, as my knowledge has grown, I have made more changes than to any other project I can remember. I tell myself that it was not poor planning, but rather that I have learned some much in that time, here and in classes, that I have wanted to apply.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your sink CANNOT be too big!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two circuits in my darkroom - one that is controled from a light switch outside of the darkroom that shuts everything down at the end of the day so i have no doubt that all items on that line are off when I am done. That switch also has a red lamp built in to it to indicate that the circuit is on. The second ciruit is live all the time. Both circuits are GFI protected - a absolute must in my opinion. I also made sure that I ran speaker wires and cable for my stereo and phone line as well.

Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm just jealous of all that space!

Since it's being converted from a garage, I would think what comes first to my mind has already been mentioned: good ventilation and comfort - as in environmental controls. You cannot let it get too hot or cold in there, not only for yourself but your paper and chems.

Good luck. Did I mention I'm jealous of all that space??

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin