Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,312   Online: 874

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

RH Analyser Pro & Kaiser Multigrade Head

The multigrade head for my Kaiser enlarger has a very nifty feature: when changing grades you are not required to change the exposure times. Grade 0 has the same exposure time with grade 2 and grade 5. Unlike filters for example.

The problem is that my new RH Analyser Pro does not know this and when changing the grades on it, it also changes the exposure time which means that I match the grade on the Analyser display with the Kaiser head then the exposure will be wrong. Grade 4 for example would be burned crispy black.

The way to go around it is not to change the grades on the Analyser and just change the grades on the Kaiser head. The problem is that then I miss the visual display of tones unless I go back and fourth (find the desirable grade and then go back to "neutral" 2).

There isn't an option to "switch off" the adjustment of exposure for different grades on the Analyser.

Do I miss something? I am new to it so it could be possible.
    If I have it right, is it possible to add the option in the User Set Up menu in a later firmware upgrade?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It sounds like you are relying on the supplied paper calibration, rather than recalibrating the timer to your enlarger, and paper. When you do recalibrate the additional exposure programmed in for grades 4 and 5 will be removed. I have had exactly the same problem with my own setup prior to calibration.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Dave. It occured to me while thinking about it at bed just before I went to sleep. I didn't pay much attention to the calibration because it seemed a bit of complex procedure and I use Ilford Multigrade RC anyway which is the default paper. I didn't pay attention to the enlarger part.
    It seems that I didn't escape the calibration.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Do I miss something? I am new to it so it could be possible.
    If I have it right, is it possible to add the option in the User Set Up menu in a later firmware upgrade?
    You simply need to calibrate your Analyser so that it matches your enlarger and materials. The "constant exposure" claim of enlarger and/or filter manufacturers is very misleading because it only really applies to the paper speed point, equivalent to around zone 7 or 8. The Analyser calculates exposures for a point at about zone 8.5 and the correct exposure for this point will vary from grade to grade, just as it does with Ilford filters. If you follow the calibration procedure you will end up with exposure correction factors for each grade, and if you enter those figures into the Analyser's calibration memory it will correct its exposure calculations and allow you to use the grey scale properly.

Please ask if you need any more help.

Kind regards
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you Richard.
    The Analyser is a truly magnificent piece of equipment and I am still learning it.
    www.arigram.gr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin