Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,957   Online: 711

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Enlarging lens - question

I'm a relatively inexperienced darkroom person, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Finally I have my darkroom (aka bathroom) set up again after a shortlived side-trip into the digital world. I ran into a small problem tonight. Up until this time I have only printed from 35mm negatives. I'm now starting to print medium format and so picked up a Rodenstock Rodagon 80mm f5.6 lens a while back on ebay. When I changed lenses on the enlarger, the lens will only mount with the f-stop numbers to the back so I can't see them. My 50mm lens (Componon) mounts okay and also clicks on the f-stops which the Rodagon doesn't. Am I doing something wrong? My enlarger is a Saunder/LPL D6700 if that helps.
    I won't be home tomorrow but I'll check in tomorrow night to see if anyone has any advice. Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Are you sure you can't rotate the lens around, even after it is tightened in place? I have the same enlarger, and a Nikkor lens, and the lens clicks into place but can still be turned around so that the numbers face the front.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No. I just went and tried again, but it won't turn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may need a washer or even consider putting an O-Ring on instead of the washer. Since it's threaded you can't use a jam nut.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Nancy,

Can You rotate the lensboard 180 degrees?

I have some lenses that sometimes don't line up, I don't really bother to investigate why... I would recommend ignoring the visible gauge and use the number of clicks(as you stop the lens down) to determine what f/stop you are at. It might take a printing session or two to get used to it, but you will.

Good luck.

Corey

PS. I am not familiar with the Saunders lensboards... but if the lens attaches to a retaining ring, which in turn is attached to the lensboard, you could probably rotate the retaining ring to align the lens how you like.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll have to check into the O-ring thing. I'll have my husband look and see if he can come up with something.
    I don't think that I can turn the lensboard on this.
    This lens doesn't have clicks like my 50mm does.
    Thanks for your replies. I'll check back tomorrow night.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy
    I'll have to check into the O-ring thing. I'll have my husband look and see if he can come up with something.
    I don't think that I can turn the lensboard on this.
    This lens doesn't have clicks like my 50mm does.
    Thanks for your replies. I'll check back tomorrow night.
    The Rodagon Lens does have click stops(at least the newer ones do), however it has a switch that can engage or disengage the clicks stops... take a look.

And Good LUck!

Corey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have a rodagon that disengages the click stops when you pull the barrel down (oriented as mounted on an enlarger). If you push it back up it will start clicking again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nancy
    Are you certain the lens doesn't have a switch to turn the clicks "on or off"?
    My Rodagon doesn't but Componon does.
    You could also stack a nylon washer (hardware store, plumbing dept) or two between lens & board to get the correct spacing.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could also stack paper or cardstock washers that you make yourself for finer control of the lens alignment to the front of the enlarger.

Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin