Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,263   Online: 1009

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Simmons Omega Automega D-3

I am in the market for an enlarger, ideally able to print up to 6x9, but 6x6 would be fine. I have been looking for weeks and the only thing that fit my requirements were a Automega D-3 I saw in a second hand camera shop. It comes with 3 wollensak lens.

I have considered this offer to be expensive (almost half month's pay!) and also the thing looks well used. But now I really want to get back into my printing and really would like to get started.

I live in China so there is very little chance of getting parts like neg carrier and other asscessorie without cost prohibitive shipping. I don't mind spending time adjusting and rebuilding the thing but I really need to make sure everything is present. This is my first purchase in a "professional" enlarger and so I am very bewildered with all the asscessories that I need to make this work.

So what I want to find out from you Apugers is what I will have too look out for on this enlarger and also what parts I need to make sure is present if I do part with hard earned cash to take this out of the shop. Also if anybody is still using this ancient beast I would appreciate some feedback on how the D-3 handles.

Many Thanks!

The lenses are not up to current standards, not even close. And they are probably dirty inside and many enlargong lenses can`t be easily cleaned due to the atmoshere they are used in . Updating to modern glass means the Auto focus may not work exactly, but you can file the cams to shape. You also need the proper cones for each lens, but I have made them for an D4. The bellows needs checking for wear and holes.
    Bulbs may be an issue if it has an old color head. The original color heads have filters that fade and can`t be easily replaced, but I fixed mine with color printing filters.

If a condenser model, be sure all the condensers are there and have no scratches or chips.

I hope I discouraged you as you seem to live in a place with few resources and personel finances seem low.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Ronald:

I think you have pretty much nailed the deal in the head, I have decided against this enlarger due to possibility of prohibitive cost to get it into working condition. Will keep looking for something in better shape.

Thanks for you insight and save me from sinking good money into something which I am already skeptical of.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello! I have found this same enlarger on Craigslist, and have been given what seems to be a pretty sweet pricepoint on it, along with a few other things that would help me build out a small darkroom. Can anyone give me a link to the exact specs on this enlarger?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not "specs" per se, but the info from KHB may be useful:

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

(Go to the link for "Discontinued Enlargers" and then the link for the D3)

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    hamster,
    i know its a long time ago but you may still be interested,,, i saw this D3 this morning, loads of lenses and all the carriers, looks like a wall mounted version but very cheap, take a look?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-SIMM...item35c0e3f6d2

all the best, i thought i would post this as i was looking for kit for years so there is still a chance you may be still looking,

regards, Jamie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hamster

if you get a d3v ( auto focus )
    the lenses are the least of your worries.
    getting new or different enlarging lenses are easy and cheap to ship.

there are 3 condensors you need to make sure the enlarger has ..
    two go in the condensor sleeve below the light source
    and one in a tray above the negative stage.
    you also want to look for an snatch up, if you can find it
    the variable focusing bellows attachment.
    it is supposed to be used for making jewel prints, but its alternative use ...
    allowing you to use whatever lenses you decide upon
    without having to deal with the rails in the back ( that extend and compress the bellows ( the auto in auto focus) )
    and the lens cones which extend the lens from the lens platform.
    harry taylor at classic-enlargers.com is the omega-man, he will be able
    to clarify what you might have or might be missing if you can't find the info on the khb website.

i have a military d3v and have used it since 1988 when it was shipped to me in 13 boxes from colorado
    through an advert in shutterbug magazine. it cost me 300$ + shipping was worth every penny.

have fun!
    john

Shooter
    35mm
    Hamster,

I don't know if you're reading this, or have picked up that D3. If so, I was going to mention a camera market in Beijing that's fantastic. Has a ton of new and old equipment. You'll find anything from 35mm up to 8x10 cameras, film, and darkroom items.

It's directly north of the Wukesong metro station on line 1. Go north about 1/2 mile on the east side of the ring road and once you're across the canal it'll be immediately on the right side of the road; can't miss it with all the camera manufacturer's signs.

Anyway, I don't know where you are in China...but maybe this will help. If not, maybe someone else can use it! Good luck.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin