Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,246   Online: 1084

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Need Help in Picking the right JOBO

I have decided to plunge into the world of developing my own sheet film(4x5). I want to start out just developing the negatives of either B&W and Color Slides (E6). I need advice about picking the proper JOBO. At this point, Iamb not really set-up for an enlarger, so I'm not ready for printing.

Thanks

Gerry Roberts

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Gerry,

It all depends upon how much you want to spend. You can easily do E6 and B&W with the basic Jobo CPE2. This is what I used for many years to develop 4x5 E6. The other option is to get either the CPA2 or CPP2; then you could use the Expert Drums. From what I have been told, the Expert Drums are fantastic for B&W, but expensive.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have used the Jobo ATL-2000 for several years. I process both B&W & E6 (6 step) film in the machine. I've been happy with the performance and have had only a couple minor problems. The Jobo people have been helpful with both the couple of small problems and the few 'operator error' issues I've dealt with them on.
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Get the models large enough for the expert drums. The motors in the smaller ones are not strong enough for the expert.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another thing to consider is if you are doing E-6 or C41, you need more precise temperature control. The CPA2 will give you the precision you need in a temperate climate where you can get water cool enough out of the tap and keep room temperatures below 90-some degrees farenheit. If you are working in a hotter climate, you will want the CPP2 because it will not just heat water, but will draw in cool water from your tap to keep the temperature consistent, and can set the temperature to .1 degree accuracy, as opposed to 1 degree accuracy with the CPA2. I would not recommend the CPE because it cannot handle the Expert drums, and it has less accurate temperature control.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I just want to thank everyone for your help, now I need to watch E-bay

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryroberts
    I just want to thank everyone for your help, now I need to watch E-bay
    Gerry, If you are watching eBay as I did for either a CPA or CPP-2, pay attention to what drums are offered. Ask the seller what drums have been used. The Expert drums for 4x5 and 8x10 take more fluid and generally weigh more than the roll film drums. I use a liter of pyro developer in either 4x5 or 8x10 Expert drums.

The reason for this caution is that I bought an older CPP-2 that had been used for smaller RF drums. When I started using the heavier Expert drums with more fluid I got slipping gears and drive unable to keep up the proper speed. Jobo repair in Ann Arbor told me the solution was a rebuilt lift and drive unit. It was an installation I could do myself saving time, labor and shipping fees. Jobo US is now under Omega management. I have heard that the price of repair parts has about doubled. I don't not know this from personal experience, so check and be warned. I do recommend the lift because it is so much easier to change fluids. You do a lot of that. The wash cycle with rollo pyro is ten changes in twenty minutes.

My point is to be sure you buy a unit that has been running Expert drums so you know it can take the load.

Secondly, if it is possible, buy from someone close enough either to deliver or pick up yourself. The unit is quite light, but all the talk I heard said it was very fragile for shipping unless you had an original box. If you find an original box it may be worth more than the Jobo as I imagine they are a bit rare.

Good luck. The unit does a wonderful job once you have it. I like rollo pyro from Bostick & Sullivan as a developer, but of course that is another topic.

John Powers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin