Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,563   Online: 1147

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Apertures on Enlarger Lens

When and how should this be adjusted? My lens on my fujimoto enlarger goes from 3.5 - 16. Any pointers? Thank you.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure what you're asking, do you really never adjust the aperture?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    open to 3.5 when focusing the image

stopped down to f8 for printing. f8 is just a rule of thumb guide line,
    run some test to determine which fstop will give you a time that is long enough for dodging.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just finished testing some larger f5.6 El Nikkors for both resolution and light fall off. In every case, the best resolution at the center was at wide open, and the best corner resolution was between 1.5 and 2 stops from wide open. Light fall off improved progressively as the lens was closed down, and by f11 the corners displayed less than 1/3 stop loss, and usually less than 1/6 stop loss. So for me, with my system, the best compromise aperture was 2 stops from wide open, or f11.
    —Eric

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ann and Eric have covered it well. Most quality 50mm enlarging lenses show a slight loss of sharpness when stopped down to f/11 and f/16 due to diffraction. This might not be noticable except in big enlargements. Enlarging lenses for larger formats can be stopped down a bit further with no loss of quality. Some of the less expensive lenses originally supplied on enlargers should be stopped down at least two or three stops for sharp prints. Stopping any enlarging lens down at least two stops helps cover any focusing or enlarger alignment problems.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've found that most of my 50mm lenses perform best at about f/8 (with maximum apertures that range from f/4 to f/2.8). The best lenses show much less improvement from being stopped down, though.

I disagree with the recommendation to focus wide open. I've forgotten the name of the effect, but lenses often suffer from a slight focus shift when changing the aperture. When I first heard of this I did a few tests to confirm it. This effect was almost unnoticeable with my best lenses but quite noticeable with others I've got. OTOH, my enlarger (a Philips PCS130) produces a very bright image, so I have no problem focusing at f/8. With an enlarger that produces a significantly dimmer image, it might be very hard to focus at anything less than full aperture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That so called "focus shift" is due to curvature of field. The rays are focused at a different distance from the optical center of the lens as one progresses across the plane of focus to the edges of the field. When the lens is stopped down less of the edges of the ray trace "bundle" are used, so less will - can comprise the image area, and a greater fraction of them will focus on a flat plane.

The reason for focusing wide open is not primarily for brightness; it is to reduce the depth of field (actually, in a projection lens, it is the depth of focus) enabling the critical focusing distance to "snap into place".

If you notice something like a "focus shift", try focusing at the center of the paper... that is where the curvature of field will have the least effect when the lens is stopped down.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I prefer to leave my enlarger lenses set at about two stops from wide open. But if the resulting exposure time falls outside a reasonable band (minimum 10 sec, maximum 60 sec), then I may open or close by one stop.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    With used high quality enlarging lenses selling at such low prices, any lens with focus shift can easily be replaced. Anyone using fine lenses for image capture should also use fine lenses for enlarging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Flash: Thanks for asking the question.

I was already aware of the f/8ish rule of thumb, but never really knew why. The responses to YOUR question may just have helped improve MY printing...Thanks everyone!

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin