Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,335   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cleaning fabric of heated dryer

Although not my preferred method of drying fb prints, I have a two sided heated print dryer and would like to use it again occasionally.

My question to the masses is, what should I use to clean the canvas fabric ? Should I just use a detergent/water wash or just treat it like a fb print itself and wash it in plain water for a long time with maybe some clearing agent thrown in for good measure ? Just want to make sure the cloth is as chem free as possible.

tia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tia, we found that some canvas shrank if we washed it. It has been so long, I forget how we did it to avoid shrinkage. Sorry I can't be of more help other than the warning here.

Good luck.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks PE,

I was wondering about that as well. If it was reattached while damp/wet, I wonder if that would alleviate shrinkage. I suppose I could try washing the cloth without removing it from the dryer but that would take more patience than I could muster.

Oh yea, tia is not my name but a 'net acronym for "thanks in advance"

fred

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Fred,

Rather than wash it on the dryer, why not return it to the dryer while still wet?

Just a thought. Good luck!

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead
    Thanks PE,

I was wondering about that as well. If it was reattached while damp/wet, I wonder if that would alleviate shrinkage. I suppose I could try washing the cloth without removing it from the dryer but that would take more patience than I could muster.

Oh yea, tia is not my name but a 'net acronym for "thanks in advance"

fred
    ROFLMFAO.

There are so many acronyms here I just lose track of them, being so old. Oh well.

I've been thinkiing about our old dryers, and some of the canvas looked pretty dirty, but it never seemed to discolor the prints. IDK but you might get away with just leaving it 'dirty' and have no problem. Of course that depends on what kind of dirt and etc, but I seem to remember some pretty bad canvas that didn't affect prints.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dirt doesn't bother me and I'm pretty good about washing my prints but still don't want to transfer any residual chemicals to future prints. The dryer was bought used as well. Am I being too picky or should the cloth be clean even if prints were not washed archivally by the previous owner ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My previous answer was based on work in a photofinishing lab for about 3 years. The dryer belt (canvas) was quite stained and dirty in appearance for one reason or another, but never left stains on the prints.

We washed all prints going through it very well in either pako roller transport or basket processors. The stains got there somehow, but never ended up on the backs of the prints. I don't remember his washing them, but I do remember how hard it was to remove them for cleaning or replacemnt. I just cannot remember what was done to them, if anything.

The ones at Cape Canaveral were very clean and white, and they had some regular maintenance, but I've completely forgotten what or how. Sorry.

I would suggest just wetting the entire canvas, on the dryer, and letting the dryer run. Enough clean water with runoff would eventually leach out the residual chemistry. And, since the canvas always gets wet, if left in place it shouldn't shrink any more than it does under normal usage.

That is all I can think of.

Oh, if the canvas has no obvious chemical odor when wet and hot, I would doubt if it were very much contaminated with chemistry. Just a thought. If I were in your position, I would try just about everything that came to mind just for peace of mind.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks again PE. This will probably get backburnered now since I'm going to pick up a 4x5 enlarger for the temporary basement darkroom. Gonna be interesting since I have a kinda lowish ceiling down there.

Also any thoughts on blotter paper ? This is my preferred choice for drying prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 4 old Kodak blotting rolls for prints, but I use them only for FB. I use air drying racks for RC.

They work fine on papers that are hard enough, but on softer papers, the blotters can stick. One way around that is to use hardener fix, another is to air dry and re-wet, then dry between blotters. The air dry step tends to harden the paper so that it can be re-wet and dried in contact with the blotters.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I hang FB prints by a corner to air dry them, since the good ones will be dry mounted, and the others stored away and forgotten. On the rare times I've cleaned the canvas from heated driers, I removed the canvas and washed it with the rest of the laundry. The design of those driers allowed for shrinkage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin