Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,003   Online: 1055

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DUST!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DUST!!!!!

I recently acquired an LPL 7700 enlarger which has a glass neg carrier - my old Minolta only had glass on one side.

What I have noticed is how difficult I am finding it to exclude dust! - does anyone have any useful tips?

I know Ansel Adams talks about some kind of anti-static brush or something.

Help - it is taking so long eliminating this dust!

Thanks,

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The short answer is you can never really completely eliminate dust. That said, there are several things you can do/buy to reduce it to a manageable level. There are a large number of anti-static wipes/sprays you can use on the glass, there are several brands of anti-static brushes you can get to reduce static and dust, and there are even anti-static devices that run on electricity that you plug in in your darkroom to treat your negatives. The cheapest solutions are a good anti-static dust cloth and a can of compressed air. After that, a Jobo or Staticmaster anti-static brush.

Shooter
    35mm
    I purchased a large Honeywell air filter like this, for my darkroom.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honeywell-52500-...QQcmdZViewItem

The best dust solution I have found is to eliminate it from the enviroment as much as possible, in the first place. I still get dust, but much less since the filter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Before you try anything, scrub down that darkroom! Vacuum every surface completely, and then wet wipe every surface again. Floors, walls, ceiling, and each and every item in the room. That should remove a good portion of the dust, and allow the anti-static products to work.
    —Eric

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    I recently acquired an LPL 7700 enlarger which has a glass neg carrier - my old Minolta only had glass on one side.

What I have noticed is how difficult I am finding it to exclude dust! - does anyone have any useful tips?

I know Ansel Adams talks about some kind of anti-static brush or something.

Help - it is taking so long eliminating this dust!

Thanks,

Matt
    I use a LPL 7700 condenser head with a AN glass carrier for my 35mm negs. I usually put some nose oil on the neg, rub it a bit, and place it on the carrier. I don't do anything special to get rid of dust. But I try not to get finger prints on the glass surface by cleaning with anti-static cloth.

Up to 8x10" I have no problem with the dust just like when I use a regular neg carrier.

For bigger images, the problems start to occur no matter what I use for a carrier, and I usually wash the negs, photo-flo them, and use them again when they get dry.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Search here on dust. There has been a lot written that should be helpful for you.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt,

Might I suggest that you try attaching a "ground" (earth) wire from a metal part of your enlager. It will not eliminate the dust problem that plagues us all, but it should help a little in the unending battle.

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt, try to elinimate glass if possible, makes the dust "battle" a bit easier. On my old Opemus, I replaced the bottom glass with the black sheet of plastic of the same thickness. I cut the hole slightly bigger then 24x36 in the middle of this plastic. Then i took plastic Gepe slide mount and adjusted it with a knife and a file so negative passes thru easily, without any scratching. Then when my negative is align, I squeeze it just like when mounting a slide and put it in the carrier. It keeps the film very flat as well. I cut also little notches on the edge of this mount, so it can be prey open with a nail. I know, sounds like a trouble to go thru all this, but I like it a lot this way.
    Metod

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two small domestic air filters running 24/7 in the darkroom. They were very cheap and use very little power but they keep the dust down almost to clean room levels. You have to change the filter about once a year, but otherwise they have been labour free. A word of warning: you can get scented and unscented filters. Get the latter: the scented ones are overpowering in a confined space and who knows what chemicals they emit.

David.

Matt
    Use glassless carrier.
    sergio caetano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin