Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,655   Online: 833

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    . Each slot takes about 3.8 liters of chems to fill at that size. Another downside is that sometimes when working with fiber paper, the paper will stick to the waffle-textured wall of the slot occasionally and you'll get waffle-pattern marks on the print. Continuous agitation in the slot should help prevent this, which is a bit of a pain when working with a sopping wet 16x20 sheet of fiber paper.
    The upside is that chemistry stay fresh for ages and you can be up and running in seconds. Just switch on the heater an hour or so before you intend to start....make a brew..watch TV..wander into darkroom, remove lids and GO!

I set my thermostat at a temp marginally above the max room temperature so that whatever happens the ambient temp is never higher. That way the heater has minimal work to do, but always brings it to and maintains it at a constant temp..rather than being overtaken by ambient.

I always use constant agitation with FB and RC tho with RC you tend not to get the waffle pattern regardless of how little you agitate.

Put it this way (mine is a Nova Quad 20x16). If mine was destroyed or beamed up by aliens, I buy another immediately.

When I had the darkroom upstairs (my first), i would make a few draft RC prints, give them a quick wash for a minute or so, dry them with a hairdryer after a 10 mins dripping...watch TV talk to my wife...show her the drafts....ponder what I am going to do for the 'real' prints...and wander back upstairs when ready. no chems to go bad in trays...little smell or spillages..constnt temperature etc. They allow a much more casual approach as well as being eminently wuited to volume and replenishment.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another option would be to build a slot processor. I bought a sheet of 1/4" x 4 ft by 8 ft ABS for about $70. This will allow me to make a processor to do 16x20's. You would need to be able to make smooth and straight cuts in sheet materials. A good table saw is ideal. At the moment, I've got everything cut to size. I just need to glue everything together.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a Nova Quad 16 x 20 that I have used alot but I just retired it (? temporarily). It is somewhat convenient, saves space, reduces chemical odors, allows tempering of solutions, and is a quality product.

However, the 16 x 20 model is too tall to comfortably place in my sink so I have a stand for it. It is slow to drain and tedious. The water jackets are especially annoying to drain. It is very heavy and immovable when full of chemistry. Cleaning it and rinsing it with water is a bit of a nuisance, especially if it is not in a sink (I have a floor drain though). The 4 slots are somewhat limiting if want to try two developers, fixing sequences with two fixers, etc. You should avoid using it for Selenium toning unless you want it stained forever. PermaWash does not last and should be replaces each day or esle a scummy precipitate can form and be a nuisance to clean. Also, the clips require you to mar the paper albeit slightly. The clips don't fit heavy fiber base paper very well and the cost nearly $20 each.

Because of all of those issues, I have switched to single tray processing. A bit more time consuming but very clean, no marring of prints, allows for any processing sequence, easy to substitute/experiment with different chemicals, uses only one tray therefore minimal space, no staining of the tray, etc. Single tray is a bit slower, especially if your are trying to print large volumes but on balance it wins for me. For you, it would be much cheaper as well. You could use the savings to buy an RH Designs StopClock Pro timer which is much more useful than the Nova. You do need to find suitable chemical containers though. I use Doran 2 gallon floating lid containers with 1 - 1.5 gallons of chemistry depending on the size of tray I am using (max 20 x 24).
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Guys, thanks for the advice.

Eventually, I won a Nova 8x10 trimate processor on e-bay just over $70.

Both the Durst color head and the Siriocon 80 are difficult to find. Maybe, I should start enlarging 35mm negs first.

My next target is a print wahser.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    The clips don't fit heavy fiber base paper very well and the cost nearly $20 each.
    They have a special holder for fibre but I'm not sure if it can only be used in the angled tanks. I seem to remember reading on APUG that Les McLean helped them with the design of the fibre holder.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leeturner
    They have a special holder for fibre but I'm not sure if it can only be used in the angled tanks. I seem to remember reading on APUG that Les McLean helped them with the design of the fibre holder.
    My 12x16 fibre holder fits fine in my Trimate but I no longer use it: it seems to carry a lot of chemical to the next tray. I can't speak for larger sizes, but 12x16 fibre works fine with the normal paper clips (although the paper can be a bit floppy by the time it reaches the fixer and sometimes likes help from the back of some print tongs to stop it folding at the top - it depends on the paper & phase of the moon etc...).

Cheers, Bob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin