Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,537,009   Online: 1175

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Filters for Beseler MCRX 45

So I'm looking at my brand new (to me) old Beseler MCRX 45. I know this is a common enlarger, but I have never owned one, till this orphaned fellow.

It's pretty strait forward of course, but a couple of questions.

Directly beneath the condenser, but above the carrier, there is a slot that contains a large ?holder? long D shape dealy that has a scratched up piece of plexi in it. Is this for giant contrast filters? or a place to warm a ham and cheese?

Above the lens board there is another, smaller holder that looks like it is made and sprung to hold glass filters. Where can one obtain filters to fit this, or what is the current vogue?

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    The D shaped holder is a filter drawer, I think you may have to cut the filters to get them to fit properly. Not certain if you will need to trim the ham and cheese. <g>

The other part you refer to would probably be the negative carrier, located between the upper and lower bellows. What carrier do you have now? The carrier number is 4 digits, and is stamped just above the word 'Beseler' on the round carrier.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    J,

The sandwich warmer is for color filters to use when printing color paper. It accounts for the "C" in MCRX.

The lower filter drawer is for 2 3/8" x 2 3/8" VC, ND, Diffusion and other types of filters. I have a set of Ilford 3 1/2" MG filters trimmed to fit in the drawer, as well as a red, plexi, "safe" filter.

Many lenses' rear elements will interfere with the function of the lower drawer, so many don't bother to use it. You can acquire special lensboards to lower the lens out of the drawer's path.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul VanAudenhove
    The other part you refer to would probably be the negative carrier, located between the upper and lower bellows. What carrier do you have now? The carrier number is 4 digits, and is stamped just above the word 'Beseler' on the round carrier.

Hope this helps.

Paul
    Nope, I have a 4x5 carrier, nestled quite snugly in the carrier slot.
    This slot I'm refering to is below the neg carrier slot and lower bellows, just above the lensboard and looks to be about 2in x 2in and has a spring built in, like the lens board. Seems like the logical place for a contrast filter, but IDK. They would have to be glass or some rigid matieral. Hmmmm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pandino
    J,

The sandwich warmer is for color filters to use when printing color paper. It accounts for the "C" in MCRX.

The lower filter drawer is for 2 3/8" x 2 3/8" VC, ND, Diffusion and other types of filters. I have a set of Ilford 3 1/2" MG filters trimmed to fit in the drawer, as well as a red, plexi, "safe" filter.

Many lenses' rear elements will interfere with the function of the lower drawer, so many don't bother to use it. You can acquire special lensboards to lower the lens out of the drawer's path.
    The moment of clarity is upon me. Thank you, sir.

Shooter
    35mm
    Pandino, that makes sense. I was looking at my 45MXII, which doesn't have a lower filter drawer.
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul VanAudenhove
    Pandino, that makes sense. I was looking at my 45MXII, which doesn't have a lower filter drawer.
    Thanks.
    The 45MXII is a bit newer than the dinosaurs J and I have, so I'm not sure if the nomenclature followed. My manual says:
    M= Motor
    C= Color Filter Drawer, between condensers
    R= Resistrol Unit (for varying lamp brightness)
    X= Rear support truss (X-brace)
    D= Dichro head.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    there used to be filters that fit in that sliding drawer.

Once in awhile they can still be found on ebay.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Beseler 45MXT which also has a large D shaped sandwich warmer that also takes 6x6" filters (Cut to shape) from both Ilford and Kodak. The 6" barely covers the filter carier so if you can find some that is slightly larger and then cut them in the D shape that would work better than the 6"

jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the same big blue beast. I cut 6" ilford filters to fit the sandwich tray. I cut the corners so they fit the round D shape. They have no trouble covering all the image area. IMHO, it is better to use filters above the condenser lens and negative, since anything you put in between the negative and the lens will degrade the image slightly. I very rarely use the 2" filter tray.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin