Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,452   Online: 1134

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darkroom timer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about a Durst TIM 60? Cheap 'n' reliable.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is to the Time-O-Lite M & P-59 series. These little tanks are repeatable 60 second timers, and the P series allows for a foot switch. I have one on the enlarger, and another over the developer tray.

As noted, the Gralab 300 is a workhorse that allows up to one hour, and the stop-click setting action makes for easy setting in the dark or between chemistry changes. I use this one for fix, wash, and toning operations.

These are available on eBay, but can be snatched up quickly and overbidded to overly high prices. To snipe or not to snipe, that is the question...
    Last edited by Pragmatist; 04-18-2006 at 08:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addendum
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll second the GraLab 300 for your situation. I've had others (some pricey ones, too) and seem to have trouble eventually. I pull out the old GraLab and get back to work. I also keep a Time-O-Lite by my trays, set to 1 minute. I put my paper in and hit the timer and at the 1 minute mark, it has a soft rewind sound sound that keeps my tray timing straight for me.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Craig, makes for a nice workflow, doesnt it? I like the idea of a metronome for dodging and burning. It seems too distracting for overall exposures, but for keeping one's eyes on the print at all times during short d&b sessions could be a real help.
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer the Beseler Audible timer. Simple to set, accurate, you can get a foot pedal for it and it has a metronome beep for dodging and burning that can be switched off if you (or your SO) don't want to listen to it.

There are a couple of them on yabe right now in your price range:

I used several different enlarger timers before getting my Metrolux, and these were my favorite.

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny9fingers
    What timer would you recommend for a novice on a strict budget, probably in the $50.00 range.
    I would wait until I had my enlarger and paper combination, and have a sense about what my average exposure times might be.

The reason - a bright enlarger and sensitive paper leads to shorter exposure times. If you find you are using 12 seconds or shorter a lot, with the lens stopped down a long way, you may find that a basic digital timer is a good choice. It is fairly difficult to set a Gralab 300 for a 4.7 second burn, but a Gralab 450 is a piece of cake.

I picked up a Gralab 450 on *bay for $37.00, including shipping. It took some patience, because I was being outbid regularly on other auctions, but eventually I succeeded.

Now I've turned around and bought a footswitch for it, and paid almost as much again :rolleyes: . Oh well.

By the way, good luck, and have fun.

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For your budget, I agree with Matt that a GraLab 451 (ideally with a foot switch is the closest option. A Gralab 300 is a pain to reset all of the time. If you have patience, you might be able to find a Jobo Multitronic on Ebay which is better because it also has 3 channels to use as a process timer. I like it better than the Gralab process timer (? 900 or 9000).
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    35mm
    I am currently using a Gralab 505 because it came with the enlarger I bought. Before that I use a PLC connected to the PC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin