Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,910   Online: 890

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a larger bathroom fan in the ceiling in the corner above my sink. On the opposit wall and lower I have a Delta light-tight louver. Don't forget that you need return air so you don't really want a helicoptor rotor sucking all of the air out of a small space. You might look at Panasonic bathroom fans which are reported to be quieter.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My darkroom in still in the planning stage. I was going to put an exhaust fan right above the trays. Perhaps it would be best to mount it in the wall right behind the trays. Comments?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Another important factor is allowing fresh air to enter your darkroom. A light tight vent situated opposite of your fan should help in getting air to cross flow through and out of your darkroom. If your darkroom fills up with stagnant air it is probably because there is not enough air flow. We usually make our darkrooms so light tight that we neglect to accommodate the allowance of sufficient fresh air into the room that helps in removing stagnant air. Just make sure you have sufficient air flow through your darkroom.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74
    My darkroom in still in the planning stage. I was going to put an exhaust fan right above the trays. Perhaps it would be best to mount it in the wall right behind the trays. Comments?
    I wrote to this above within this thread. I would add that the fan sucking air into the darkroom is built into a box. The other end of this box has a high quality replacable furnace filter to keep out the dust and dog hair on the other side. Are there any other details you would like or are you looking for other opinions?

John Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 12 inch square Doran light-tite in the corner of the wet side, that exhausts through a flexible duct pipe directly to the outside of the house.
    I cut a hole into the darkroom door, opposite end, and installed a 12 inch Doran light-tite louver to allow fresh air into the room from the entire basement area. I can stay indefinitely closed up, and have never noticed a major smell, other than the beer I spill on the floor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    I wrote to this above within this thread. I would add that the fan sucking air into the darkroom is built into a box. The other end of this box has a high quality replacable furnace filter to keep out the dust and dog hair on the other side. Are there any other details you would like or are you looking for other opinions?

John Powers

I was referring more the the placement of the exhaust fan itself - putting it in the wall, just above the level of the sink to avoid pulling fumes in front of my face. The extract duct and bends would decrease suction, but that might be acceptable. One problem might be the depth of the wall; I don't know if I can find a fan that will fit in a 3.5" space. I'm sure I can rig something up with muffin fans if necessary. Or build it out from the wall.

As far as air intake, I have a passive vent planned - with a filter. Most darkrooms are not all that air tight, I want my filtered intake to be the easiest place for air to enter. As far as dog hair goes, we have an aussie shepherd and expect to have enough to knit a sweater about every week.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I think putting the exhaust fan opposite you when standing at the sink with the fan at sink top level is a perfect start. I canít find the Kodak book on building a darkroom right now so someone else step in. I think the minimum figure they gave was that you should change the air in the room every ten minutes or six times an hour. I am not familiar with a muffin fan. It sounds bite size, but I donít know. You need to calculate the cube of the room and determine how much air the fan will exhaust in that position with the bends you mentioned. I personally feel a good strong breeze is life insurance and have added fans accordingly. I value the silence of the Panasonic Whisper fans. I either want to listen to music or think undisturbed.

Ideally you want a sealed dark room pressurized by your intake and relieved by your exhaust. If as you say air is coming in from all sorts of places, those places have probably been there a while and dust will arrive with your air. That defeats all the reasons you built the darkroom in the first place. Another consideration of those openings is that light may be fighting to get in with the dust and air. After you have gotten tired and hot building the darkroom, a good cool off is to turn on all the lights outside the darkroom and above if this is in the basement. Close the door, turn out the darkroom lights, sit down and wait five minutes to adjust your eyes. Then move around, up, down, all around to look for light. If you see any you probably arenít seeing the dust that will come in with it. If you can see where you are going there is light in the room. When I finished building my darkroom I did this and then spent some time caulking places I had missed. The payoff on dust comes when you do a series of twenty enlarged prints that donít need spotting. I print mostly 16x20.

Just a side note, I mentioned in the earlier post that my fans are in the rafters and I use 4Ē PVC to get down to the sink level. I would prefer to go directly through the wall, but my darkroom is in the basement, below ground level. The other side of the sink wall is about four feet below ground level.

Hope this helps. If not please ask.

John Powers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin