Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,094   Online: 798

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Good Darkroom Fan Recommendation?

I use a 12" square Delta fan right above my chems. I did a smoke test and wasn't very impressed with the thing. I get coughing when I'm in there a while which tells me I need to upgrade that thing. Can anyone recommend a good strong fan?

Thanks

Images
    I bought one from Grainger and they carry many. It really moves the air and will change the air in my DR in a couple of minutes. It is ducted to the outside. Air comes into the DR thru a door vent. The fan is, however, quite loud, and I only use it for a few things. The chemicals I use have little or no odor.

Panasonic makes some quiet bathroom fans if you want one to leave it on all the time.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

I experienced the same thing Bob and am also interested in a stronger fan that will fit in the 12x12 proportions. Possibly an industrial bathroom fan? I will do some research myself and wait for other recommendations. Excellent post. My next darkroom will have a dedicated hood with enough suction to lift a piece of tissue off of the sink.

Cheers!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    That's what I'm talking about Michael!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used an external-mount 900 cfm kitchen fan ducted to fit a smaller opening along the back side of my sink, just above the trays. But it's more a matter of efficiency. Check this APUG thread and see how PeterB handled ventilation. I was impressed!
    Last edited by resummerfield; 04-19-2006 at 03:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The type of exhaust pipe, length, and number of bends has a significant impact on the efficiency of the exhaust. Changing from corrugated pipe (if that's what you have now) to straight pipe would likely have more impact then increasing the fan cfm (unless you are at a very low cfm now).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Centrifugal fans will move an amazing amount of air and are really small. Get one cheap off of ebay. Forget out those little kitchen fans.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I bought two 5 or 6 inch muffin fans and mounted them to a light-tight baffle that I put over my window. The fans cost $5 each at a surplus store, and are overkill for my HUGE darkroom space. Even one would be adequate for most darkrooms.

Wayne

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If your fan is right above your chemicals, where is your nose? Many people stand in front of the sink holding the trays. If that is your set up, you are sucking the chemical fumes right by your nose and mouth. A cough or several should not be a surprising result.

I have two Panasonic whisper fans in the rafters over the sink, but I have four inch PVC pipe from the fans angled to the opposite side of the sink sucking the fumes from the trays away from me to the other side of the sink and then up and outside. The fewer angles the more suction.

The air going into those fans has to be replaced or you have a vacum. I have a larger fan on the wall behing me pumping filtered air into the room and toward my back. The room is 11'x13'. This is also a Panasonic whisper fan. They are very quiet, but they cost more than equal capacity bathroom fans.

Safe air to you.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 04-19-2006 at 08:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 6" rackmount muffin fan, 115 VAC, plugged into a Variac (like a super heavy duty dimmer) that evacuates my darkroom. Nice to be able to vary the noise level.

I plan to get another one from here: http://www.meci.com/

It is just up the road a few mintues from me and has amazing stuff...

This would also be a good fan/filter for a homemade film drying cabinet.

http://www.meci.com/product_info.php...cts_id/2900664

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin