Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,929   Posts: 1,556,841   Online: 867

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Enlarging lens(es) for 6X6 - 6X9

I am considering a Magnifax 4 enlarger for my future darkroom.
    It's cabaple of enlarging up to 6X9cm negs. I intend to use it mainly for 6X7 and ocasionally 6X6 and 6X9.
    Which focallenghts do I need ? 80mm, 90mm and/or 105mm ?
    I have an old Schneider Componon 80mm. Will it cover 6X7 ?
    Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Componon-S 80mm which handles 6x6 fine and 6x7 if I stop it down two stops. For 6x9 I use a 105mm El-Nikkor. I'm not sure about the older Componon but I suspect it'll be similar and if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will let us both know.

Roger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 80mm will not give you enough coverage for 6x9s. You'll need at least a 105mm. I don't know about 6x7, but doubt it. I would say a 90mm might do it.

Ok ras351 says he uses an 80mm for 6x7 so I guess it works.
    Last edited by rogueish; 04-20-2006 at 06:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: I missed the info from ras351

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't need big prints then it's better to just get a 105mm. It'll do all smaller formats. The only issue is it'll limit your max print size.

Shooter
    35mm
    When someone says that a lens "doesn't cover" a particular format, what exactly are the symptoms? Just asking because I've been enlarging 6x9 with an 80mm El-Nikkor for several months and never noticed a problem. Is it an issue of light fall-off in the corners?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try it. I have a 75/4.5 Ektar that I use for 6X7. It is sharp as a tack right to the corners. I tend to expose at f11 so that's the aperature I tested the Ektar at. Your 80 Componon should be fine. Might even be OK for 6X9.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.europe-nikon.com/specific...=540&catId=152

The Nikon 80mm is rated at 6x7.

What does that mean? In the magnification range that Nikon claims the lens will manage the lens will provide performance up to the standard set by Nikon. In other words if your standards are different or you're working outside the magnification range then it's up to you.

I know with camera lenses the greater the magnification the greater the coverage. I think it's the opposite way with enlarger lenses. So smaller prints will get by while large ones will show problems. Of course may be I remember the relationship wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you guys. Ill see what I can find.
    Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I could only use one lens I'd pick a 105mm, although that limits the size a bit for the 6x6 negs. If I could pick 2 lenses I'd add a 90mm. You're almost always better off going with a longer enlarger lens than a shorter one. You'll have better and more even illumination of the negative with a longer lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a 105 for the 6x9. No shorter. A coated tessar type ( Ektar, Wray, etc ) would be excellent for modest prints ( 5x - 6x ). A 105 Componon from the '60s or a 105 EL Nikkor will be easy to find.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin