Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,980   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Beseler 45*** Enlargers Question

Are you familiar with the 45M*** series of Beseler enlargers? I own a D2V, but am redesigning my darkroom and always wanted one of the Beselers (Used one in HS and College).

What are the differences between the 45MCRX and others from the period when they were blue to the later 45MX and 45MXII? What are the advantages to buying the later models?

Thanks for any information.
    Neal

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Beseler

Neal-I have what I believe to be McrxII and works fine. Probably 20 years old now. The latest design incoporates a single column and what I see to be a different bellows design. It seems to be better thought out. On the other hand the older ones are going for a song. I actually prefer doing my 4x5 work on my 5x7 Burke and James modfied enlarger that has a glass carrier. On the other hand the beseler is just great for my medium format negatives. You live in northern NJ right? Why not take the time and go to B+H to have a looksee at the newest model. It's sitting there in the darkroom section last time I remember.
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can't remember that much of a difference between the blue and the later black models - I have the MXII model and it seems very similar to the blue model they have in the school darkroom here at work. I haven't been in the actual darkroom here (due to a fear of gang darkrooms) but I think that they are basicaly the same with very minor changes until you get to the really modern models. Mine is great and was really quite inexpensive.

- Randy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Peter on the B&H suggestion. I would not ever buy a new piece of equipment with the way these prices are falling.

The newer ones are the 45V series, and they are all that and a bag of chips...beautiful enlargers. But even on the auction site the newer 45V's are darn expensive (these are the ones that allow conversion to 8x10).

I read earlier in my search that the 45MCRX do not have the lens stage alignment provisions of the later 45M*** enlargers. So far that is the only difference I've been able to identify.
    Neal

Images
    I have two 45Ms. There must be 15 years between them, but I can't tell the difference. The older one has the 8x10 conversion on it and this is the one that gets the most use. I use it for 6x6 to 8x10, mostly 57. I have modified it so that all the stages can be aligned in all axes. I don't know that this is necessary, as my pix weren't out of focus before, but it is a nice touch.

My friend has the 45V, but I prefer the 45M.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used the 45 series for years. My most recent one (an old one) had the tapered lower bellows which does not allow for lens stage alignment. So I purchased a "conversion" kit (over $300) to enable alignment; this consists of a much larger non-tapered bellows and provision for attaching a lens turret. Badly designed and manufactured. So bad that the bellows was so thick I could not focus a 50mm lens. The tech guy at Beseler said they had changed suppliers and the new ones are too thick. I wrote the Beseler co. 2X about this, but they don't bother to answer. I had a new bellows made to replace their too heavy one - it set me back even more money. There are lots of light leaks I have pretty well fixed so now it is a very solid machine - with somewhat limited height compared to others. If I sound pissed at Beseler, I am. It is a rather crudely made pieceof equipment which works fine if you you spend enough time fixing it. But then most enlargers unless you spend really big amounts of money are crappy!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

beseler

Quote Originally Posted by RJS
    I have used the 45 series for years. My most recent one (an old one) had the tapered lower bellows which does not allow for lens stage alignment. So I purchased a "conversion" kit (over $300) to enable alignment; this consists of a much larger non-tapered bellows and provision for attaching a lens turret. Badly designed and manufactured. So bad that the bellows was so thick I could not focus a 50mm lens. The tech guy at Beseler said they had changed suppliers and the new ones are too thick. I wrote the Beseler co. 2X about this, but they don't bother to answer. I had a new bellows made to replace their too heavy one - it set me back even more money. There are lots of light leaks I have pretty well fixed so now it is a very solid machine - with somewhat limited height compared to others. If I sound pissed at Beseler, I am. It is a rather crudely made pieceof equipment which works fine if you you spend enough time fixing it. But then most enlargers unless you spend really big amounts of money are crappy!
    RJS-you have not by the way ever owned a Wisner View Camera? Then you would belive your Beseler is a RollsRoyce!! I think all enlargers except for maybe the Leica ones (which are useless to me) are generally ill-defined pieces of equipment. Tolereances could be so much better on something like this etc; etc. As photographers we have always let the mfg'ers get away with way too much...
    Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager
    RJS-you have not by the way ever owned a Wisner View Camera? Then you would belive your Beseler is a RollsRoyce!! .
    Peter
    Can you elaborate? Are you referring to the quality of Wisner cameras, customer service, or both?

I have both Wisner cameras and Beseler enlargers which have served me well over time. What's your experience?
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is one chassis variation that you may want to consider. I don't have the model numbers to hand, but older chassis had the support struts forward, either side of the base board. This limits the lateral positioning of large masking frames. Later chassis have the support struts at the rear, but this makes the overall depth of the unit greater.

You can see what an older model looks like at http://www.gapatterson.org/photos/darkroom.html

The picture at the bottom shows the Beseler, complete with old cold-light. It has a 45S colour head in it now.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RJS
    I have used the 45 series for years. My most recent one (an old one) had the tapered lower bellows which does not allow for lens stage alignment. So I purchased a "conversion" kit (over $300) to enable alignment; this consists of a much larger non-tapered bellows and provision for attaching a lens turret. !
    I have both the older tapered "Blue" and the later 45 MXT enlargers and have made excellent prints on both but for $300 you could purchase an entire late model 45 MXwhatever enlarger with the square bellows along with a lens and negative carrier or two. The "Beseler Tech guy" has always been very helpful and honest with me regarding their products.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin