Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,852   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Jobo Expert Drum and uneven processing.

I am using Jobo Expert Drum for 4x5 processing. Often I have the problem with uneven processing. There are areas on the bottom part of the negative, usually right next to the edge, which seems to receieve no chemistry. Strikingly, sometimes they clearly received developer but did not get the fixer. I always load the film dry, then prewet for two minutes and proceed to processing. I use the drum on unicolor roller. I will appreciate any advice to solve this pretty frustrating issue.
    Jan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First, which Expert drum are you using? If you are having problems with the film not getting chemistry, my first suspicion is that the Unicolor motor base is not level, therefore chemical distribution is uneven. However, when you say that certain edges are not getting chems, that makes me wonder if you are loading the film properly. Post an image of the improperly developed film, and shoot a pic of yourself loading an already-developed negative in the drum so we can see what you're doing right or wrong. The Expert drums, properly used, should give you perfectly even development. Another question for you then is also, how much chemistry are you using, and how many sheets at one time?

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems that the Expert Drum is rotating in just one directions instead of changing it after three or four turns??
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    this is 3010 drum. I load up to six negatives, always one per tube. The drum is leveled as much as I can do, I can not exclude small imbalance. The developer volume is 300-350 ml, I usually use more of the fixer, up to 500 ml. The "unaffected" negatives are indeed very evenly developed.
    The drum is indeed rotating in only one direction. I posted the same question to another forum and just got the advice to change the direction by flipping the drum manually. I will do that.
    I will post a scan of an affected negative and a picture of how I do load the drum this evening. I do not have negatives and drum with me now.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would add more chems also the 3010 will hold about a liter I think I would increase the amount of pre wash and extend the time out to about 5 minutes.

maybe the method of getting the chemicals into the tank is at fault also That has always been my beef with the expert drums on non-JOBO.

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 05-01-2006 at 01:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add info

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am sorry - I was wrong. It is 3006 drum. Not a 3010.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I got my Jobo and all the drums/reels etc that came with the deal, I was puzzled by how the chemistry got distributed among the different compartments in the expert drums. Then I noted that Jobo syas the expert drums must be used with the lift attachment - the chemistry is poured through the lift funnel, meaning the drum is in the horizontal position and rotating while the chemistry is poured in. That's the only real difference I can see using a Jobo with or without the lift - so the method of adding the chemistry may be a key.

My guess, based on above.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with the others:

make sure the processor is level in both directions

set the little white thing so tthat the drum rotates in both directions

make sure you have the proper water level in the upper compartment -too much and the drum floats and becomes unlevel

use a 5 minute water pre-soak

use at least 500 ml of chemistry
    Jerold Harter MD

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter
    I agree with the others:

make sure the processor is level in both directions

set the little white thing so tthat the drum rotates in both directions

make sure you have the proper water level in the upper compartment -too much and the drum floats and becomes unlevel

use a 5 minute water pre-soak

use at least 500 ml of chemistry
    he is not using a jobo he stated in his first post he is using a Unicolor motor base.

lee\c

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    he is not using a jobo he stated in his first post he is using a Unicolor motor base.

lee\c
    Sorry. Never mind then.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin