Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 777

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cheap IR "Goggles" For darkroom use

Well, following some instructions online and following some of my own equipment hacking skills, I've modified a CVS camcorder ($24.99 - oh yeah) for IR usage. With a pair of mini-Maglites covered with diffusers and IR filters, it puts out enough IR light to light up a small room (My TV remote makes a big spot on the wall from 6 feet away.)

I'm going to make some type of a headmount for this and take it into the darkroom. which'll be nice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    Well, following some instructions online and following some of my own equipment hacking skills, I've modified a CVS camcorder ($24.99 - oh yeah) for IR usage. With a pair of mini-Maglites covered with diffusers and IR filters, it puts out enough IR light to light up a small room (My TV remote makes a big spot on the wall from 6 feet away.)

I'm going to make some type of a headmount for this and take it into the darkroom. which'll be nice

Can we please see a picture of you wearing this contraption ?

Lachlan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I actually mount this on some type of a head - thing, maybe - it'll be delightfully goofy-looking ...

It'll be ready to go by the end of next week.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    When I actually mount this on some type of a head - thing, maybe - it'll be delightfully goofy-looking ...

I have to ask, why? Seem to me to be a needless gizmo.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to ask, why? Seem to me to be a needless gizmo.
    Ever tried to find that escaped sheet of film on the floor, or the important piece of the dev. tank that rolled away to parts unknown?

It's certainly not for constant usage, but when something gets lost, its nice to have.

Also, for color processing in trays when the lights are off, it can sometimes be nice to see what you're doing (though it's normally not too bad).

It really was, once again, a why not type of thing ...

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Ever tried to find that escaped sheet of film on the floor, or the important piece of the dev. tank that rolled away to parts unknown?

It's certainly not for constant usage, but when something gets lost, its nice to have.

Also, for color processing in trays when the lights are off, it can sometimes be nice to see what you're doing (though it's normally not too bad).

It really was, once again, a why not type of thing ...
    I've never had any of thos problems and who does color processing in trays?

FWIW, I used to disassembled film splicing equipment in total darkness (and reassemble). Your fingers become your eyes.

Like I said IR goggles are useless gizmos ... a solution looking for a problem.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format

You will certainly have to upload a photo of this Rube Goldberg apparatus when done, whether it works well or not

Don, some folks like using the goggles. There are several threads on the matter. I remember using a monocular 30 years ago when I worked a stint at a commercial photo lab. It came in useful every day. And I too have dropped that little part and spent some time crawling about looking for it. Different methodologies for different people.
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    "Like I said IR goggles are useless gizmos ... a solution looking for a problem."

Thorton Wilder once quipped that a luxury once tasted becomes a necessity. So it is with IR in the darkroom. IR goggles are a luxury, but they are a very useful luxury. I have used mine now for a couple of years now, and I have no plans to give them up. They make any task done in complete darkness much easier. Some tasks it makes much more fun--like developing film. Watching the image come up is great.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin