Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,467   Online: 883

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Safelight Filters

I have several of the old Kodak screw in safelights with various red filters on them.

Two are 0C, one is 0A, and one is 6B.

I will be using Ilford multicontrast paper.

Will I have an issue using any of these lamps with a 15w bulb?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A safelight test would be a good way to find out.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The OC filter is for the Multigrade paper. The OA is for graded papers and not safe for MG. 6B is for X-ray material.

The bulb size depends on the distance from the work area. Might be 15w, might be 7.5w. When doing initial set-up, I do a quick and dirty to see if its close. Determine the base flash to give the paper a medium gray with normal development. Pre-flash the paper, then lay some coins on it for 5 - 10 minutes and process normally. Examine carefully after fixed. Any hint of coin outline indicates safelight fogging. When you think you have it, Kodak outlines a more scientific version of the test that will provide more comfort.

Safelight filters begin to lose their effectiveness with use and age so need to be tested periodically.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Bob. Much Appreciated.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin