Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,293   Online: 1146

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Now the happy owner of a Devere 504

Am I happy bunny or what! The Devere 504 enlarger with Dichroic head that I won on Ebay arrived this morning. I've checked it out and it all seems to be OK. The timer doesn't work properly: the focus and power buttons work fine, but the 'expose' button doesn't do anything. I'm pretty certain it's a switch problem. I'm not that bothered as as far as I was concerned, it was a freebie anyway. I've just ordered the devere cable for my Stopclock pro from RH designs.

All I need to do now is remodel my darkroom then install it in its new home.

I do have a quick question. Is it worthwhile getting hold of the glass negative neg carriers? I would imagine that film flatness isn't a problem with 4x5 or even MF, but what about 35mm? I would imagine that it may help getting sharper prints under glass.

Any hints / tips on getting the best out of this behomoth will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mark, I have a 5x4 Durst and only now use a glazed 5x4 carrier for all sizes. It takes a little practice to get the hang of centering the negative, but saves time changing carriers. The Durst carrier does have adjustable masks which help control stray light, I'm not sure about the Devere.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark

Congrats. I have a 504 and use it for 5x4 and 35mm. Good, solid and reliable. Tied to a stop clock pro, its almost perfect. I have never needed a glass carrier and personally see them as just another surface to clean. Some swear by them, others hate them.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never been fortunate enough to own a DeVere, but printed on them a lot when I worked in pro labs. The 35mm carrier inserts are nicely made. You won't need a glass carrier. Who needs Newton's rings, and 4 more surfaces to clean, especially with 35mm.
    I should keep my eyes out for one on eBay. If they're cheap enough, why not? Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to Dave, Phill and dphphoto for your views.
    Oddessey Sales had some used glassless carriers, so I've got a 5x4 set, 35mm and 6x6 mm set on their way. After careful consideration, I also decided to get some anti-newton ring glass, so I'm covered for all eventualities. At least then if I want to print non-standard film formats, I can do so without a problem.

Dave, the Devere does have adjustable masks.

Hopefully, the masks plus an adaptor cable for the stopclock pro will arrive today.
    All I need to do now is get some AF (why couldn't De Vere use Metric? ) allen keys so I can dismantle the enlarger before moving it from the garage to the darkroom....
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin