Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,960   Online: 931

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Question from the idiot corner!

Hi,

Just developed my first 35mm film at home yesterday, and man I have not had that much fun in a while. It was great stuff!

I noticed that my Paterson System4 tank may fit two spirals in. Is it possible to do two films at a time? Do you need to double up on your chemicals?

Cheers all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure, two films at a time if they are of the same type and speed. And, yes fill with the recommended volume of chems.

Congratulations of first of hopefully many rolls. I get a kick out of it every time I develop a roll.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by niclester
    Hi,

Just developed my first 35mm film at home yesterday, and man I have not had that much fun in a while. It was great stuff!

I noticed that my Paterson System4 tank may fit two spirals in. Is it possible to do two films at a time? Do you need to double up on your chemicals?

Cheers all!
    The tank has information on the bottom regarding the amount of chemistry used per roll. If you used that amount (approx 340ml per roll, if I remember correctly) then yes, you can just double everything, load both reels and go for it. If you used enough to fill the tank, you already have enough chemistry to do two rolls.

If you are using only one reel, make sure that you leave the empty one on top to prevent the reel with the film in it from creeping up and causing uneven development. (or use the clip that Paterson makes for that purpose)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most Paterson tanks have the required volumes for 1 and 2 reels of 35mm moulded in to the outside of the base.

Cheers, Bob.

[edit] Whoops - Paul beat me to it....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Most Paterson tanks have the required volumes for 1 and 2 reels of 35mm moulded in to the outside of the base.

Cheers, Bob.

[edit] Whoops - Paul beat me to it....
    I saw the word idiot and was drawn like a moth to flame. It's hard to beat me on the idiot questions!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone for your advice.. Two at a time will speed things up a bit! Or maybe I am shooting too much film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your tank is designed to accommodate two reels, it is a good idea to use enough chemical to develop two rolls and to have the second reel in the tank, even if you are only devleoping one roll.

The reason for this is that if you only put one reel in a two-reel tank, that reel can bounce around inside the tank. Also, because there is only half a tank of liquid, it will move around a lot more as you agitation. In either case, the result is that the film on the one reel will receive more vigorous agitation than if you have two reels and enough chemical for two rolls, and the result will be slightly higher contrast.

Ultimately, you want to develop (pardon the pun) a rhythm - you want to be able to predict how long you should allow development to proceed assuming that all other variables are held constant. To achieve that goal, you want to bring all of the variables under control - temperature, agitation pattern, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A word of caution, do not attempt to develop two films that are of different emulsion types even though their development times may be the same. Development by-products from one film type may have a negative impact on the other film type.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    300 mL per roll.. I use Paterson tanks exclusively so I know it well.

You can even develop a single roll of 120 or 220 if you like. The reel can be adjusted. You'll need 500 mL of chemistry.

I bought a 3-roll and an 8-roll tank so that when I have my invariable mad frenzy of developing (because I tend to do it in big batches), I can do lots of rolls at a time. It is awkward handling an 8-roll tank full of chemicals and film, but it sure saves a lot of time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by niclester
    Or maybe I am shooting too much film!
    That's impossible!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin