Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,823   Online: 720

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Sealing / Painting a Darkroom sink

I've got a Kreonite darkroom sink. It is made of fiberglass. The top side is smooth and feels like plastic.

Before I put up the walls and make the dark room, I am wanting to paint/seal the sink to make sure I do not have any issues in the future.

Any suggestions of paint/epoxy? I've called the few marine shops and auto paint places and no one seems to know what I need. I've spoken to several people. It's kind of sad, actually.

So, is there a product I can get at Lowes or Home Depot?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You might want to look at swimming pool paint. Benjamin Moore makes one, it comes in white or black. Its intended for immersion, and is hard and chemical resistant. I dont know if it would work for this application, but its a thought. I used it on my plywood sink and it has held up well for several years of intermittant use. I'm about to recoat it tonight.

Oh, its also expensive and has nasty fumes. Do you really need to coat the sink? Sounds like it may not be necessary.

Wayne

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used a marine epoxy paint by West System. http://www.westsystem.com/ My sink is now about 15 years old and gets pretty heavy use. The epoxy has held up very well. I got it at a local marine supply outfit.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

ditto

I'm with Kerik on this one. Marine paint holds up really well!
    Peter

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would go with West Systems Epoxy, which is, among other things, used to repair fiberglass. It's pretty easy to work with, but wear gloves and make sure you have good ventilation. You can order it online from West Marine, but any decent chandlery should carry it. (Admittedly such shops may be more common here by the Chesapeake). I wouldn't rush to paint the sink, though. Fiberglass is pretty moisture and stain resistant, which is why they make sinks, showers, and boats from it. Just don't use an abrasive cleaner, as that will scratch the gel coat. The only other thing that bothers gel coat is UV light, which shouldn't be an issue in the case (!).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Kreonite

Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I've got a Kreonite darkroom sink. It is made of fiberglass. The top side is smooth and feels like plastic.

Before I put up the walls and make the dark room, I am wanting to paint/seal the sink to make sure I do not have any issues in the future.

Thanks.
    According to Kreonite, there sinks are of a one-piece molded glass-fiber reinforced resin construction. This resin was specifically developed to be impervious to the corrosive effects of rapid fixers, color bleaches, iron chloride and other harsh chemicals used in photographic and graphic arts processes.
    See http://dunningphoto.com/k5sink.html
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The problem with the sink is it's age. It's at least 10 years old and the factory stand does not properly support the center of it.

There are a few (4-5) hairline cracks in the top. It is water tight but I am just taking a precaution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bondo, (bondo.com) a company that I do business with has products that will help you achieve your goal.
    I have the same sink waiting for a darkroom to be built around it and I'll be using some Bondo products also.

Mark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Marine Tex

For hairline fractures I recommend MarineTex. You carry it on your boat and while in the water it will seal up a hole. I used it for my ZoneVI washer when it started to fall apart...hardens like cement
    Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I should note....I live in Albuquerque New Mexico. One of the driest places on the planet. We have 3 marine shops and none of the carry supplies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin