Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,612   Online: 1273

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Always no. 3 for me. I think it's the safest way.

Never had a problem.
    Film's not dead, it's just got a negative image.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Another way?

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim
    I bow the film slightly and then pull it out of the reel as I rotate the reel. This creates less stress on the film. I have trouble getting the halves apart when they are wet, and I don't like pulling the film out by force.
    I have always grabbed the end, and pulled the film out at a tangent to the reel while letting it spin. When the film is about a foot out, it is clipped to the hanger, and spun out the remainder of the way like a wheel on an axle. Has worked fine with 35 since I started, and no problems in the past 6 months of MF with 120/220.
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do any of you use ss reels, there is never a problem with them, once you learn how to load them. Pat
    [SIZE=2]Shadow Catcher[/SIZE]

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by p krentz
    Do any of you use ss reels, there is never a problem with them, once you learn how to load them. Pat
    I didn't even mention stainless, because there's only one way to unload them, at least if you clip the film in at the center; it *has* to come out by unpeeling it around the reel.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In general, ss is what I use, but the original question was regarding plastic reels so I didn't think mentioning ss was relevant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    I didn't even mention stainless, because there's only one way to unload them, at least if you clip the film in at the center; it *has* to come out by unpeeling it around the reel.
    I never unpeeled the film from the ss reel, I would take hold of the end with a film clip and hold it while letting the reel go, and the film would unwind itself. Pat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn
    In general, ss is what I use, but the original question was regarding plastic reels so I didn't think mentioning ss was relevant
    I was trying to tell him to get rid of the plastic and use the ss, I guess I was to subtle. Pat

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never unpeeled the film from the ss reel, I would take hold of the end with a film clip and hold it while letting the reel go, and the film would unwind itself. Pat
    I'm not quite tall enough to do that and reliably keep the other end of a 36 exposure roll off the floor (much less off my shirt, off the counter, etc.) and I certainly can't lift the clip high enough to pull the film off it while it sits in the mouth of the tank on the counter. That's five feet of film, and I'm a good bit less than six feet tall; my maximum reach is well under seven feet and the counter's close to three...

But now I know how people manage to bend stainless reels...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin