Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 832

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

freeing film from the reels

This is kind of newbie question, but I’m really curious how do you folks take out the 35mm film out of the reels after is all developed and washed? I mean, I do this for years, but when it comes to pulling that film out, I’m always nervous a bit. I have the Paterson film tank, which served me well over the years, always managed to load the film with no problems. But when I have to free the film from the reels, these 3 scenarios usually happen to me:

1. Grab the end and just pull the film out as it unwinds itself. Happens sometimes and I’m happy when it does.
    2. Try to pull, but it does not budge. As I hold the end of the film, I turn the reels a couple of turns to free the film from the grooves and then try to pull.
    3. If the film is really stubborn and both above-mentioned steps won’t work, I unscrew reels half’s and pull the film out. This always works, but is my least preferred way, because the film twists and turns and touches itself all over the place as is taken out.

Am I doing something wrong? I’d love to hear any tips on this. Maybe it is worth investing in other type of tank and reels?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been doing method 3 for as long as I've been developing film, and did not have a problem. I always use photo-flo before hanging the film, and I pull the film out of the reel with a gentle, but swift movement to make sure it does not touch itself too long.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I use plastic reels, its method 3 for me. Never done it any other way, never had any problems.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer method no. 1. No one problem over the last 30 years...
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use method #3 on my Paterson reels. No problems.

-- MW
    Men, said the Devil, are good to their brothers: they don’t want to mend their own ways, but each others.
    -- Piet Hein

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Interesting question... I am also a newbie and go with option 3 when 1 doesn't work.

Slightly off-topic: I also have Patterson reels. I noticed that Ilford PanF 50 35mm is very though to wind in. It usually takes me 3 attemps to get it all in. Has anybody ever experienced the same?
    Last edited by sterioma; 05-12-2006 at 12:09 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn
    When I use plastic reels, its method 3 for me. Never done it any other way, never had any problems.
    I second this!
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bow the film slightly and then pull it out of the reel as I rotate the reel. This creates less stress on the film. I have trouble getting the halves apart when they are wet, and I don't like pulling the film out by force.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Method 1 for me since 40 years with 35mm and 120 films no problems. Just take care to do it slowly. I have use Paterson in the past, now Jobo reels
    Claude

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can unpeel the film from the original Paterson reel (with the very small tabs at the film start point) without breaking it down in halves, but the Universal reel I have (which I use more, because it's much easier to start 120 on the larger tabs) makes this impossible because there isn't anything like enough room to pull the film out from between the tabs -- and too much friction on a wet reel to pull it out along the spiral. So, for the Universal reel, I split the reel and lift the film off (usually two rolls, since I load them end to end).

Haven't seen a scratching problem from it...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin