Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,314   Online: 1068

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay...how about this: "Get off your fat, lazy butt and haul your sorry ass into the darkroom or I'll come over there and tell you to get off your fat, lazy butt and haul your sorry ass into the darkroom again!" Motivated yet?

OTOH, wine and a good stereo should be all that's required if you really need some extra inducement.
    John Voss

My Blog

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find it easier to get the tray developing done than to load and process roll film in tanks -- it's faster from starting setup to cleaning up. Now that I've done it a few times (after literally 35 years of off-and-on experience with daylight tanks), I can set up, unload holders, process film, and hang it to dry in under an hour for a batch of six sheets (still working on keeping it scratch free, but the last batch had only two sheets damaged out of six). The same six sheets would take at least two hours with my daylight tubes (which are still the way to go if I have only two sheets to process the same, however).

What I have trouble doing is getting into APUG every day to keep the stack of new messages at a manageable level -- I'll leave it for a couple days, and then all of a sudden there are 1500 new messages, and I wind up skipping stuff I'd rather have read trying to get through the board in under two hours...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    jovo - Thanks for giving me Drill Instructor flashbacks...Now I *need* that bottle of wine

Donald - I agree. It seems like I get 'more' when I develop sheets in trays rather than any other way. I usually develop my film, and while it is drying in the darkroom, I take my holders out, dust them, and then bring them back into the DR to load. By that point, the films are almost dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH
    Well, the issue is that I only have so many film holders. This really hasn't been an issue before...Its not that I mind processing; its just that the call of the wild has been stronger than the call of the darkened bathroom.

Bill - thanks for the offer, how big is your suitcase ?
    Steve! 4x5 holders are a dime a dozen on Ebay! Get some more and go shoot! The images in your gallery are gems-make more!
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Steve,

I hear your pain, it's hard to go in there sometimes. I just spent the last couple of days playing around w ilford warm tone, not my usual paper, printing some stuff from my wife's pregnancy that I only had on RC. I really only did it to get myself in the darkroom. Sometimes it's best to do something fun and easy w quick payback to get you in the swing of things. Also, if the filmholders are holding you back, just unload the film into empty paper bags and put them inside paper envelopes. That way it'll free you up to shoot some more, which is sometimes all one wants to do. You'll deal w the developing later. Just make sure to label the bags for type of development and film. Cheers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All,
    Thanks for all of your motivational ideas ! I got everything developed last night, and I can honestly say that I was rewarded, despite all of the complaining/procrastination, etc etc.
    I loaded up some Provia 100F - my first time shooting anything color in 4x5. With the crazy weather moving through here yesterday, I should be in great shape to catch a dramatic sunrise.

At least I won't have to develop these shots

Thanks again to everyone !

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was looking for a negative the other day - I was sure I'd shot it, but now I wanted to print it. Searched all over, no sign of it.

Then my eye fell upon a stack of film holders, and I noticed about half of them still had the black side out - meaning "shot, not developed".

I exposed those sheets in September last year.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    20 sheets to develop and a 25yo lacks the energy/motivation to process them?!! Maybe too much time was spent on X box? I'm the middle of processing 110 rolls of 120 and 48 sheets of 4x5. I started processing last week and will finish by the end of this week. And this is right after being on the road shooting for 6 weeks without any days off. Steve, just do it! If you give in to procrastination it just gets worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser
    If you give in to procrastination it just gets worse.
    I may need to borrow this - for my signature! :rolleyes:

Matt

Motivation......to make money.

I've had times when I mixed the chemistry, got everything ready, then said fuck it, I don't want to be in here. So I left.

The funny thing is, if your force yourself, you'll probably end up having to do it over anyway.

That being said, paying the mortgage can be a strong motivator.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin