Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,199   Posts: 1,659,172   Online: 769

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darkroom Paint

Shooter
    Medium Format

Darkroom Paint

I am about to expand my darkroom and was wondering if there is a benefit to painting the walls and ceiling black. Also, should I use a black counter tops as well? I have been printing in a white painted darkroom for four years, but have no way of knowing of its effect on the image.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris -

The subject of darkroom wall color has been debated many times. The key point is that a darkroom is dark because there are no active light sources in it. I prefer white walls because they reflect and even out the light from the safelights, making it possible for me to actually see to get work done.

In general, I think you want to try to manage any spurious light sources in the darkroom - leaks from the enlarger, etc. Part of that management may include painting the walls behind the enlarger a flat black. I chose to make the ceiling over the enlarger white and to point a safelight toward that ceiling to provide general illuimination around the enlarging station.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that the walls can and should remain light. The area around the enlarger can be 'papered' with large sheets of black construction paper which has a very matte surface and reflects nothing. You retain a degree of flexibility that way as well if you should move your enlarger.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use a matt black paint around the enlarger station(s), walls & ceiling. The rest of the darkroom neutral white (gloss for ease of cleaning).
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I painted the area around the enlarger flat black. Honestly, I can’t confirm that this has a positive effect on printing. But it gives me that insurance, that there is no light bouncing around. I even when a step further and made cardboard box to cover the enlarger head to eliminate the leaks coming mainly from the negative carrier. I use this box only at the final printing stage; otherwise it would get pretty hot in there.

As an alternative to painting, I used to pin up the cheap black fabric around the enlarger, which is easy to take down if needed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My darkroom is white with the wall behind the enlarger black. in gang darkrooms (schools,art centers...) walls may be flat black to absorb stray light if someone opens a door, enlarger Etc. This helps keep everyones paper from being damaged if it is open at the time. Personally I think black rooms are claustrophobic and depressing. I can't stay in them long but I can work for hours in a well lit darkroom.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    I am about to expand my darkroom and was wondering if there is a benefit to painting the walls and ceiling black. Also, should I use a black counter tops as well? I have been printing in a white painted darkroom for four years, but have no way of knowing of its effect on the image.

Chris
    Chris... do you like how your prints come out??? If you do, then you must know that the wall color can be whatever you like.

Mine's a white matte paint to reduce any chance of reflection. I've never had any problem with the light walls.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would prefer to keep the walls and ceiling white, as I have designed lightproof sliding window doors to allow outside light. The light leaks on the enlarger have been covered, but the reflection from the print itself is evident on the ceiling. It's not much, but my larger exposures can take up to 2 minutes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You know the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

If you like your white walls, and it works for you, leave them alone. Personally I prefer flat black on everything myself - I find the darkness comforting - it's almost Zen like atmosphere in my darkroom, and helps me concentrate on the image at hand. But do what works for you.

joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hahaha, I just painted my darkroom all black even the floor. Funny har.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin