Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,226   Posts: 1,532,673   Online: 793

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

GraLab timer repair

Has anyone had any experience with repairing Gralab Timers? The on/off toggle on my model 300 is going. I am confident I can replace the switch, but I am not sure if there is a way to open the case other then brute force...any expertise out there...?

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did send mine to GraLab in Ohio. They have a flat fee for the repair of about $60. I believe the case is riveted and I didn't feel comfortable opening it. Their service was good, fast and friendly.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    It is easy to take apart. Just pry out the plastic "rivets" with a small knife blade and it will come apart.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since used ones go for about $50 - $60 when you find them, I think sending it
    to Gra-Lab is a toss-up. I have 3, each a different age, and they all have little screws on the sides holding the back in place - opening is relatively easy. I did have one that had metal rivets - drilling them out was a pain, then I found the motor was frozen and gave up, got another used timer for $50.

Anyway, good luck.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I replaced the toggle switches on my Gra-Lab 300 recently. The case was held together by screws, so no problem taking it apart. Found the replacement toggle switches at Radio Shack for about $4 each. All of the toggle switch wiring connections were soldered on mine, so the longest part of the process was de-soldering and re-soldering everything back together.

Be sure to make yourself a drawing of the wiring before you take anything apart.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even if it does have rivets, they are simple to drill out with a good titanium bit and drop of oil to each rivet as you drill. Good thing is that rivets are easy and cheap to replace too!

It's at least worth the trouble to see if it can be done.

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Medium Format

Additional Gra-Lab question

I have a Gra-Lab in pretty good shap, but I, too, need to take it apart to troubleshoot a little problem: the timer hands don't stop when they circle around to dead-center zero. My question is, yes, I see four little screws that appear to hold the metal casing intact (two on top and one on each side), but what about the three toggle switches (one on top and two on the face); don't the threaded retaining rings also need to be unscrewed so the metal case can slide off, or is it just the top toggle switch that needs to be freed? Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Since used ones go for about $50 - $60 when you find them, .....
    Bob
    I bought a couple a couple of years ago. I think I paid $20 and $25 for them. Both look brand new. I use one of them as a kitchen timer.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    I replaced the toggle switches on my Gra-Lab 300 recently. The case was held together by screws, so no problem taking it apart. Found the replacement toggle switches at Radio Shack for about $4 each. All of the toggle switch wiring connections were soldered on mine, so the longest part of the process was de-soldering and re-soldering everything back together.

Be sure to make yourself a drawing of the wiring before you take anything apart.
    I did the same thing for mine about 10 or 15 years ago, and it's still working fine. I was relieved... I've only had it now for about 25 years, and I'd hate to have to replace it so soon!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fromero View Post
    I have a Gra-Lab in pretty good shap, but I, too, need to take it apart to troubleshoot a little problem: the timer hands don't stop when they circle around to dead-center zero. My question is, yes, I see four little screws that appear to hold the metal casing intact (two on top and one on each side), but what about the three toggle switches (one on top and two on the face); don't the threaded retaining rings also need to be unscrewed so the metal case can slide off, or is it just the top toggle switch that needs to be freed? Any constructive advice would be greatly appreciated!
    I had this problem too... about 20 years ago. You don't need to remove the cover. The knob that holds the second hand should have a set screw that holds it to the shaft, and you just need to tighten that. Mine was so loose that it would "clunk" as it went over the "0"!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin