Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,399   Online: 1096

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Durst 1000 with Liesegang lens. Crap?

As I've written in another thread, the market for LF enlargers in Sweden, is just sooo limited.

The only ones I've found locally, are two Durst Laborator 1000, one with a CLS450 head, and the other with a BW head. They are both a bit battered. The seller is a bit confused about what he actually has for these enlargers, but it seems he has a 9x12 cm carrier and a 135mm / 4.5 Liesegang Coronar. He's asking about 400 USD for each of the enlargers. He says he'll get them sold for that, but I'm not so sure. I think it's too much for the state they're in.

Has anyone here used the Liesegang lens?

Can a 9x12 carrier be used with 4x5" film, or will it be cropped a lot or not even fit?

Getting spare parts, and neg carriers seems difficult with Durst. There's such a plethora of names and models on carriers etc, and I find it confusing. Not so much is available on e**y.

Is it possible to adjust neg carrier flatness, lensboard flatness etc on this model?

Is it a better idea to get both, at a discounted price, so I can use parts etc from one? Seller say's he wont budge from 800 USD for both, but I'm not buying at that price. Around 600 might be OK, or am I better off waiting for a better deal?

Sorry about the many questions, and messed up post... I have too many enlargers spinning around my head...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That colour head is newer then mine but the enlarger is the same. It's an okay enlarger. I've no idea what the state of your local market is but the price would be high from here. Mine in mint condition with a full six month warranty wasn't much more then $300 US.

The only current part that will fit is lens boards. Actually that's for my head. I've no idea if the current neg carriers will fit the head you're looking at. IIRC the B&W head uses a no longer produced bulb. So you want to check that issue out.

I wouldn't worry about the lens. You can get a 135mm or 150mm lens used for not much money. It would not be a make/break issue for me.

Have you looked at the lensboards? The things could hold a tank. They won't flex-) The whole thing is fairly solid. Unless it's been abused of course but I think it would take a lot of abuse.

I wouldn't get both. Unless you want both heads.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/nick_zentena/Durst1000.html

Is that it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena

Thanks! It's similar. But the BW head looked different and more like a box.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've purchased two thru eBay with price for each around $200, both with older color heads. I would think having both color head & condenser would be good thing. Here's a manual
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The BW head is of diffusion type on this particular machine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, Sweden isn't a big market, but $400 sounds like an okay deal, especially if you can pick it up locally. Just wish I could do that. The best thing is if you can find a complete outfit. As you say, it could take some effort to find what you need otherwise. The Liesegang lens I really don't know anything about, but it could probably do as a first lens. Otherwise it's pretty easy to find G-Clarons for a song. Longer enlarger lenses aren't really hot stuff...

The Dursts are sturdy, wellbuilt and will last a long time. Only issues are spare parts. Worst case you can cobble together a neg holder and so on, but sometimes it would be easier just to live somewhere else.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hello, I just bought a Laborator 1000 with B/W condenser head for 3000SEK (~USD400) and a nice 150mm lens and a new digital timer. This seems to be what they go for around here. I got it from a local shop so you can probably get it cheaper from a private person, but I thought it was worth a little extra to be able to bug them with any questions I might have in the future. It looks just like the one Nick Z linked to. But it has a regular E27 opal lamp, maybe it was modified at some time.

It came with holders from 35mm to 9x12cm. If I ever need 4x5 I might try to mill one of the smaller ones or just fashion something, they arent that complicated. It also came with something called a Taunodap 450. A "mixing box" of some sorts, I have no idea what its for or how Im supposed to attach it to the enlarger..

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin