Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,456   Online: 1155

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dean,

All the above suggestions will get you there - it's just not rocket science. You can make screens up yourself, but take it from personal experience doing more than 1 or 2 and trying to get them flat will probably convince you otherwise. However, if you'd like an easy solution, I would offer you the setup I made before I designed my darkroom, below cost. It consists of 24 X 30 inch Calumet Zone VI Drying Screens and a wheeled, movable ClosetMaid enameled metal rack. The rack is made up of 2 separate drawer racks ordered from Home Depot and combined in such away to fit the 30 inch width of the screens. This "ladder" structure holds 11 screens total. The whole thing is light enough (a few lbs.) to be moved either by rolling or picking it up to any location you wish. My darkroom needs were satisfied before I ever used the setup. No part of it was ever used and the screens (3 boxes of 4 screens - 12 total) are still in their original boxes. The screens, though not cheap, are on a par with what regular pre-made fiberglass window screens (which the Zone VI actually are) of that size would cost. I will offer you the 3 boxes of screens at cost ($44 X 3 = $132) and throw the rack in for free (it was around $50) - you pay shipping.

PM or email ben@rangeoflightphotography.com , if interested - Ben
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP0912.jpg   IMGP0913.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just string a wire and get some cloths pins. I have been hanging my prints for a couple of years now and it works for me. Don't forget to weight the bottom with cloths pins to minimize curling.
    Photography start in our minds.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If I were to use screens again, I like the setup by ROL below.

However, they are a pain. You have alot of surface area to keep clean and dust free. I have had print surfaces embossed with the pattern of the screen. Putting wet 16 x 20 prints on the bottom screens is annoying. You can pull the screen out but some dust gets into the air. The screen rack takes up floor space.

I gave up on them and now use a vinyl covered clothelines with clamps and have no problems any more. I reclaimed about 12 square feet of floor space in the process.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you're cramped for space try hinging them to the wall so they can hange by a chain. I used fiber screen in a frame.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I like the sweater rack, would never have thought of it myself.
    I have a week off next week and no real vacation plans. I'll pursue this project, and if I come up with something I'll post the results. Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got the plans and excellent suggestions for building my screens and rack from a great "darkroom diy" book:

http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.com...=9780936262048

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin