Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,149   Online: 886

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Print drying rack, any ideas, anyone?

Hi all. I'd like to build a simple print drying rack, large enough to hold at least 10 or 12 16X20's. I've searched around the internet and can't seem to find any plans. Does anyone have any ideas?
    My carpentry skills aren't the greatest, but we're not talking fine furniture here. I was thinking of a wood frame, with slots to hold the racks, finished with marine paint, and using window screens (?). It wouldn't need wheels, but maybe levelling feet would be nice.
    If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks, Dean
    dphphoto

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If your carpentry skills aren't good, you could look around a home improvement store to see if they already have some ready made window screens.

You are on the right track, though.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's basically what I use, although I had the screens custom made so I could get maximum amount of usage for the different size of prints (8x10 to 20x24). They ended up about 6' long and 27" wide. I then got some metal "U" shaped aluminum, which the screen edges would slide in, and attached those to wood legs, spaced about 3 inches apart (its all hard to describe). The unit fits under the sink. When I want quicker drying, I put a box fan on one end and turn it on to circulate the air more. Don't need the leveling...nothing going to roll off

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Really Really simple? In college I got some fiberglass window screening and stretched out between two chairs. When done I just cleaned it, dried it, then rolled it up and stored it away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Really simple construction: go to any art crafts store and buy sets of wood canvass stretcher boards in any common dimensions you like. They have 45 degree angles at the ends; piece together and staple with a staple gun (even a regular stapler is strong enough).
    Buy a roll of fiberglass screen at hardware or home improvement store...cut to size, stretch and staple to boards. That should get you started; you can design a rack to suit your needs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I built a set - really quite simple. Bought some 1x2" clear pine, and sawed it in half to make two pieces of 1x1" (actually 3/4" by 3/4"). Used those to make a rectangular frame. I used a butt joint reinforced with a metal plate (from the hardware store) on the bottom, but if you are persnickety you could use a lap joint. Sanded lightly, and then applied several coats of polyurethane varnish. Finally, used a staple gun to attach fiberglass screening to the frame, and put some rubber "feet" on the bottom. The individual screen frames were sized to allow four 11x14" prints to be layed out on the screen without actually lying over the wooden frame (ie, the inside dimensions of the frame were 22" by 18" or greater).

Then, I made a rack that fits under my sink. I bought some pine "outside corner guard" moulding that I attached to the legs of the sink to form tracks that the screens slide into. Here's a picture of what the final setup looks like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Print drying small.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by agGNOME
    Really simple construction: go to any art crafts store and buy sets of wood canvass stretcher boards in any common dimensions you like. They have 45 degree angles at the ends; piece together and staple with a staple gun (even a regular stapler is strong enough).
    Buy a roll of fiberglass screen at hardware or home improvement store...cut to size, stretch and staple to boards. That should get you started; you can design a rack to suit your needs.
    I did the same thaing but then hot glued 1 inch spacers so I can stack them on my patio. In the dry desert air double wt prints will dry in a 1/2 hour or so. When not in use they store in my utility room.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    made something similar to monophoto, except for the screens, just got some from Home Depot and made the rack to fit the specific size.

every few years you can replace the fiber glass, easy and slick as can be
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You could go to your local neighborhood hardware store and see if they have any unclaimed repaired window screens. I got 3 or 4 for the price of the repair.

Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    I did the same thaing but then hot glued 1 inch spacers so I can stack them on my patio.
    Good idea with the spacers. For drying I place three screens across the top ledges of a bath tub, and above I added a second curtain rod that allows another three screens to be suspended.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin