Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,587   Online: 904

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I've got a bunch of big ones saved for use. The worst that can happen is foamy whatever if they are not rinsed enough. Laundry soap is usually rather viscous so washing it all out can take awhile. Detergent is just a colored gooey form of photoflo.
    When I mixed my film and printing solutions from powders I recycled bottles from Diazo machines-basically like househld ammonia. I admit I didn't try to use them for developer, but fixer and washing aid did not suffer a bit. For developer I used 1 gallon glass jugs from apple juice. Now the only glass jugs I can find in the grocery are small apple juice bottles, and I save those to keep Xtol in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no qualms at all about storing fxer or toners in plastic containers. And some detergent containers are handy for darkroom storage. I have generally tried to avoid storing developers in plastic because some plastics can breathe.

Of course, the paradox here is that it is nearlly impossible today to purchase developer concentrates in glass conainers unless you go to speciality houses like B&S or Formulary.

The containers that most household liquids come in generally can be cleaned sufficiently for darkroom storage. Rinse them out - fill them with water and let them sit for a few days (or weeks if you are really concerned). Take the labels off to make sure that you can't confuse fixer for diet soda (the taste may not be a dependable clue!). Recycling makes a lot of environmental sense, and it can save you a few bucks.

The only containers that I would avoid are those that contain petroleum-based liquids - solvents like paint thinner, engine oil, etc.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    I would wash them out with a little detergent first before I use them.
    ROFLMAO

Shooter
    Multi Format
    for small quantities i've used grolsch beer bottles with the ceramic caps. holds 16oz... which works well for 8x10 and small trays...

Tom
    www.f295.org

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use the brown plastic bottles from hydrogen peroxide containers that I buy locally from a grocery store for storing stock solution XTOL. I use a fair amount of hydrogen peroxide around the house and the brown plastic bottle with hydrogen peroxide in it is cheaper than buying the brown plastic bottles empty from a retailer and there is no shipping charge. Adequately rinsed, these work fine, hold about 1 liter and I have had none of the so called XTOL failures with storage in these bottles filled to the top with no air space. I don't store other mixed chemicals, so I just keep other chemicals in the original containers.
    Doug Webb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin