Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,652   Posts: 1,481,313   Online: 1023

Shooter
    Medium Format

Schneider-Kreuznach quality ?

A little while back, I bought a Durst M601 enlarger on eBay. This enlarger came with a Nikkor 50mm f/4. I subsequently read here that the Nikkor f/4 lens is 4 element and inferior to the Nikkor f/2.8 six element lens. I recently bought another enlarger (actually, a complete instant darkroom; just add a dark room!) on eBay, a Beseler 67C. It's coming with a Scheider-Kreuznach Componon (no "S" anywhere) 50 f/4. Does Schneider produce different quality levels? I'm going to begin shopping for other lenses since I shoot mostly 6X4.5 and 6X7 and would like to tap into the experience available here so that I don't make any mistakes and buy less than I'll be happy with. Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Doug K

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Doug I Printed in labs for years and found the nikkor lenses to be ok but not the best, to my liking. I prefer to use a computar enlarging lens or the fujinon ex series. You can get a decent print with most modern lenses but the above always gave me what I conceived to be the best quality. The computar is a really fine lens optically but they do tend to seperate in the rear group due to a manufacturing glitch. If you can find the computar 105 that is clear get one for 6x7 and if not try to find a fuji ex 105 or 90. I've tried all the others, meopta, comp, comps, rodagon, apo rodagon, nikkor, wolly, etc and was always reaching for the computar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're right, Schneider and other enlarging lens manufacturers often have several quality grades. For Schneider they are; Componar 3 elements in 3 groups, Comparon, 4e3g medium quality for enlargements up to 6X, and Componon 6e4g highest quality for enlargements up to 20X. The "-S" added to Comparon and Componon indicate that they are corrected for flatness of field, contrast, and color rendition.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used a Fujinon EX 135mm enlarging lens and agree that it is the best enlarging lens I have ever used. I've a Nikkor 50/2.8, all metal version which is great. I also have an older 80mm Nikkor and it isn't all that great. Actually I don't care for mine and would love to replace it with a Fujinon ex, if I could find one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for the information. A quick search of eBay shows that most of the lenses that come up under "Computar" are for close circuit TV. Searching "Fuji EX" has turned up a couple lenses to bid on. I presume if I wind up with a Schneider "S" I'll be happy, too, correct?

Doug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Absolutely, Componon-S's, Rodenstocks Rodagons and EL Nikkors are all fine, nice, sharp 6 element lenses.
    Last edited by Imke; 06-05-2006 at 06:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or, for really knock-your-socks-off prints, go for the Schneider APO Componon HM lenses. They're a "touch" more expensive, but your negs are worth it. . . . Aren't they?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Beseler marketed Computar enlarging lenses under the name Beseler Color Pro.

Like this one. I don't know who made the little 35 wide in that ad. But I seem to remember Computer had one of those in it's line up so it may also be a Computar. The 105 Computar is useable on 4X5 as a wide field enlarging lens also.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin