Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,565   Online: 756

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    LiCi (from the Netherlands, Amsterdam) is already gone for some years.

You can try Jobo in Germany:
    Kölner Strasse 58
    D-51645 Gummersbach
    tel. +49 (0)2261 545-0

info@jobo.com

Alternative if they can not repair anything:
    Color analyzer CFL-4012 from FEM-Kunze (Wallner), they are still in business:

Ask for Mr. Kunze himself.
    http://www.fem-kunze.com

FEM-Kunze GmbH
    Rudolf Dieselstrasse 6
    D-86850 Fischach
    tel. +49 (0)8236 96080

A CFL-4012 will be around Eur. 850,00 and a one way package send to the USA (cheaper!).
    I prefer the CFL-4012 over the Colorstar but both are excelent products.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis
    LiCi (from the Netherlands, Amsterdam) is already gone for some years...
    Thank you!!! for all the information.

I'll contact these people as soon as I can. I think JOBO AG might be interested in just how Omega-Satter is handling and selling their equipment. I'd really like more information about their ColorLine analyzers... and I think Omega-Satter is, in effect, denying their existence.

FEM analyzers are indeed interesting! I've been muddling through their German web site - I'm not very fluent in German, but I've had contact with their engineering documents before - so I have some idea of what they say.
    I'll e-mail them directly ... hopefully, Englisch will not be too much of a language barrier.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexis Neel
    This is all over an analyzer? Are you using it for color or B&W?
    Mostly for color Negative printing. I consider it essential in controlling the process, given changing film and paper characteristics. An example is my recent efforts with Fuji Crystal Archive ... I would have experimented and struggled through reams of paper before realizing that CYAN filtration was necessary.

I've read the thunderous pronouncements tht an analyzer was NOT a necessity - in fact, it wasa a "hindrance" to anyone learning to print in color... to which I disagree - as much as it is possible to disagree. One could say the same thing about using an exposure meter with the Zone System... or an iris diaphram .. or even a mechanical shutter with a lens. All, so the crusty "purists" say, has the effect of keeping anyone frm learning the "true photography."

I suppose I am a Luddite for remaining with film. Maybe so, but there is a limit to "Ludditeism" - as with all things .. and struggling with color balance and my not-so-good color vision is beyond the pale.

Yes, I NEED a color analyzer.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An example is my recent efforts with Fuji Crystal Archive ... I would have experimented and struggled through reams of paper before realizing that CYAN filtration was necessary.
    Yep, the new modern laser light RA-4 papers have different settings....

With the AD2000 densitometer the FEM-Kunze CFL-4012 is calibrating itself. Most information is unfortunately in German but I have also some English documentation/manuals. Their instruments can be switched in different languages, including English.
    You can call Mr. Kunze in English but indeed the company is not very international orientated, it's a pity because specially their color instruments are really good including their service and costs.
    Mail me if you have some interest.
    http://www.FotohuisRoVo.nl :FEM-Kunze distributer for the Netherlands.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach

I'll contact these people as soon as I can. I think JOBO AG might be interested in just how Omega-Satter is handling and selling their equipment. I'd really like more information about their ColorLine analyzers... and I think Omega-Satter is, in effect, denying their existence.
    Ed, the Colorline was discontinued a couple fo years ago. In fact, the last shipment to the US to Jobo-USA (before they went belly-up) was sold even before it arrived in US. The info I was able to get was that JOBO AG did not make it themselves, and it may have been also made by LICI. It used the same technology as the Colorstar, just presented it differently. Some used ones show up from time to time. I found a 5000 in excellent condition about the time the 7000 was discontinued. There is not really much difference between the 5000, 5100 and 7000 just bells and whistles. There may still be some data on the Jobo archive site accessed from Omega-Satter site.

Hope this helps a little.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka
    Ed, the Colorline was discontinued a couple fo years ago... There may still be some data on the Jobo archive site accessed from Omega-Satter site.
    Bob
    Thanks for the try in helping. Unfortunately I have already tried Omega-Satter with absolutely *NO* luck. It is as if the ColorLine never existed ... No units for sale, no information available, nothing.

This is strange. I am seeing a DEMAND ... possibly not an overwhelming demand, but it does exist, and it appears to be increasing, with the age-related demise of the exisiting units ... and NO supply. Nada - nowhere, unless contact with FEM produces interest.

I wonder how long it will be before some bright, enterprising entrepreneur decides to reverse engineer one of these and start up a "garage business" producing them ...???
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Come to think of it ... JOBO, - the "old" JOBO, when they were in Ann Arbor, DID service these things. I wonder if anyone here in the vast reaches of APUG, has any knowledge of anyone who worked there...?

Possibly, I could convince them to ... repair one more..??

I remember an article in an issue of Road and Track, where the restoration of an excedingly rare Classic Car was done. This car had burned in a garage fire, and more or less, melted (I think it was a Singer Sports SS 100 - later to become Jaguar..). The most vexing problem was the radiator -- an unusual configuration. After some search, they were able to locate the Singer employee who had built the original radiators, and they managed to get him to build one more... some thirty years after the last one he made.

Maybe -- hopefully ... "Six degrees of separation" will work?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ed,
    I think there are two problems with this analogy: 1) the restoration of a vintage car is generally a "cost no object" enterprise and I can't imagine that you would approach this problem in the same way and 2)where would the tech get parts? Omega Satter has handled distribution of the Colorstar for quite some time. They took over when Jobo introduced the Colorline analyzers. Even if a tech could be located we are many years removed from Jobo having either an active interest or a parts supply for that product.

On the other hand replacing it with later model would not be very difficult. The shop I work in has a NIB colorline 7000 on the shelf and I know of at least one low mileage 5000 that needs a new home. Have you tried some of the obvious sources for second hand photo stuff. I would bet that used color analyzers are selling for reasonable prices. Good luck.
    Celac.

Come to think of it ... JOBO, - the "old" JOBO, when they were in Ann Arbor, DID service these things. I wonder if anyone here in the vast reaches of APUG, has any knowledge of anyone who worked there...?

Possibly, I could convince them to ... repair one more..??

I remember an article in an issue of Road and Track, where the restoration of an excedingly rare Classic Car was done. This car had burned in a garage fire, and more or less, melted (I think it was a Singer Sports SS 100 - later to become Jaguar..). The most vexing problem was the radiator -- an unusual configuration. After some search, they were able to locate the Singer employee who had built the original radiators, and they managed to get him to build one more... some thirty years after the last one he made.

Maybe -- hopefully ... "Six degrees of separation" will work?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pelerin
    Ed,
    I think there are two problems with this analogy: 1) the restoration of a vintage car is generally a "cost no object" enterprise and I can't imagine that you would approach this problem in the same way...
    I don't think I've QUITE reached the "repair - money no object" stage .. yet. Having been involved in the restoration/ building of assorted vehicular machinery .. I would say that not many ever do. I know of a disassembled Volvo P1800 in storage for a few years, waiting for money.
    I am geting close to pulling out at least *some* stops, though.

... and 2)where would the tech get parts?
    Depends on the parts. There must be some - somewhere...

Omega Satter has handled distribution of the Colorstar for quite some time. They took over when Jobo introduced the Colorline analyzers.
    Yes, I understand. I wonder what happened to the repair facility. Omega-Satter obviously did not take that over.

On the other hand replacing it with later model would not be very difficult. The shop I work in has a NIB colorline 7000 on the shelf and I know of at least one low mileage 5000 that needs a new home. Have you tried some of the obvious sources for second hand photo stuff. I would bet that used color analyzers are selling for reasonable prices. Good luck.
    Celac.
    Oh, I have tried. B&H lists the Colorline 3000 - new - for $1400. A steep price to pay, considering that warranty service - and in fact, any service - appears to be nonexistant.

Riiiight! "These things are a dime a dozen." Then one tries to find one - for dozen$ - and reality sets in. I'm looking - I'm LOOKING!!

Speaking of "looking" ... really? A Colorline 7000 on the shelf, and a lm 5000?? Any possibility of a transaction there??
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ed,
    I'm sure it is frustrating to have an essential piece equipment fail on you and I did not intend to make light of your situation. All I meant to indicate was that heroic measures might be economically painful.
    <snip>

Depends on the parts. There must be some - somewhere...

Yes, I understand. I wonder what happened to the repair facility. Omega-Satter obviously did not take that over.
    Jobo's repair department closed when they folded up the Ann Arbor facility. My point however was that responsibility for the Colorstar had passd to Omega/Satter many years before the demise of Jobo. There are several places where you can get Jobo equipment competently serviced (Imagetech and Smith Electromechanical are two on the west coast) but Jobo were not responsible for Colorstar at the point when they closed.

<SNIP>

Speaking of "looking" ... really? A Colorline 7000 on the shelf, and a lm 5000?? Any possibility of a transaction there??
    Drop me a PM with your contact info and I will see on Monday what I can do to help you. Do you remember the name of the person you spoke with at Omega?
    Celac.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin