Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,723   Online: 776

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Ed. Sorry to hear that the situation is looking worryingly bad for you. I have looked at two sites in the U.K. One is Nova Darkroom. It is listing a 3000 at £400 and the other is Secondhand Darkroom Supplies which is listing the same make of machine at £395.

I can contact both tomorrow, Monday, to check that their stock position is as per their website.

I can also contact Odyssey and Lightwave to ask if they could repair yours and get a rough cost estimate.

Let me know if you'd like me to check these out.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is one on eBay, complete with manual. If a manual would help perhaps you could bribe him for a copy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i have a colorstar 2000 for sale at this moment with extra modules and reserve spot and others click ons. Maybe something for you?
    I bought a 3000 but got a 2000 send to me which i already had.....

DKT

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Oh, I have tried. B&H lists the Colorline 3000 - new - for $1400. A steep price to pay, considering that warranty service - and in fact, any service - appears to be nonexistant.

Riiiight! "These things are a dime a dozen." Then one tries to find one - for dozen$ - and reality sets in. I'm looking - I'm LOOKING!!

Speaking of "looking" ... really? A Colorline 7000 on the shelf, and a lm 5000?? Any possibility of a transaction there??
    Ed-- that Colorstar 3000 I mentioned is still at that camera store--I saw it over the weekend. I bought it as almost brand new at about <15% of the price you quote from B&H, and I can't say how much it would be now, but I can't imagine it being really high, since it will probably sit there forever in all likelihood. There is simply little if any market in my area for these sorts of things. Almost anyone still using a darkroom, are students or hobbyists using condenser heads and printing b/w. They're not interested in analyzers, color heads, processors....that stuff just sits there and gathers dust.

KT

Shooter
    35mm
    If Satter/Omega or others can supply you with..sell to you..an electrical schematic..a parts list would not hurt either..then I would guess many firms could find the problem and fix it for you. If you are able to get the schematic,then deal with a trusted local firm, TV and general electronic repair firm for example, that you can visit and talk to in person. Someone who likes family photos to be taken and is an electronic hobbyist might also be helpful to you..swapping services.

Just some general advice to purchasers of electronic..and other equipment..it is helpful at the time someone is trying to sell you something to inquire about and to purchase parts lists and electronic diagrams. It is also a very good idea to store the items where they can be found when you have trouble. The more that one relies on an item fror day to day use, the more critical it is to you, the more sense it makes to do this.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DKT
    Ed-- that Colorstar 3000 I mentioned is still at that camera store--I saw it over the weekend...
    Not any more. I've GOT it!!! Coming via UPS....

Hey, THANKS, Ken!!! I owe you , for this one!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

DKT

hey--great.... I told 'em over the weekend someone might be calling & to keep an eye out. glad it found a home.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And I was going to tell you about this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Jobo-Omega-Lici-...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh well, maybe someone else here can use it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    And I was going to tell you about this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Jobo-Omega-Lici-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Oh well, maybe someone else here can use it.
    Hey, thanks, for the attention, anyway.

The thought of "cornering the market" in ColorStars has crossed my mind. Certainly Fuji and Kodak are supporting an "amatuer market" with materials... and knowing the problems in the struggle to print without an analyzer, I can see a small, but well-established and growing demand for these puppies, or something similar, with *NO*supply - whatever. Sooner or later, *every* analyzer out there will bite the dust ... and my "mini-quest" will be repeated, probably to a "major" level, with less and less chance of success.

I once knew an Electrical / Electronics Engineer, who was nearly magical. I've seen him, time after time, LOOK at unfamiliar, complicated circuits for ten seconds or so ... and reply, "Oh, I get it". He would then pick up a pencil and create a schematic circuit diagram, complete with Integrated Circuits ... and what waveforms at ... wherever, should look like. Phenominal engineer.
    I just might pry this dead ColorStar apart, and look him up...
    I doubt that the ColorStar is on the level of "rocket science" ... and that WAS the level that Phenominal Engineer was working on, day-to-day.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, gang, help is no longer needed.

First an apology: I was more or less panicked by the apparent loss of my ColorStar 3000. Without it, setting he dichroic head on the enlarger, especially for a color negative exposed with a lighting source FAR different from "daylight" is an extremely difficult task to do by "eye" .. so activity in my darkroom, consisting of producing color prints for a model's portfolio, as promised, was effectively shut down.

I contacted Omega-Satter for help. Unfortunately, the transition from JOBO USA to Omega-Satter obviously was a complex process... and the new distributors, understandably, are in a learning curve ... translation: do not have all of the answers.

I have written before about being trained, formally, in "Dealing with Difficult People"; I did not realize at the time, that *I* had become a difficult person. Things with Omega-Satter became sort of "heated" and I wound up discouraged... replies from different independent repair outfits, essentially, "We won't touch that thing with a ten-foot pole" did not help my frame of mind, either.

I talked with Greg Blank, at Omega-Satter; I had taken his "I'll check and get back to you", as an avoidance of my problem. I was *WRONG*!!

Grag had perservered in contacting the supplier, LICI, in the Netherlands. I have heard that communication with them is NOT easy. Greg got through to them and called me .. ACTUALLY CALLED me!!! He obtained my e-maill address and sent me a partial copy of the LICI ColorStar 3000 Service Manual .. with enough information to CORRECT the ColorStar problem.

I am indebted to Greg ... it takes a special, dedicated person to continue to deal with a "difficult person". If he had taken the "easy way out" and ignored me, my original ColorStar (I now have a working backup, with the help of "DKT" here) would probably have been scrapped by now.

The information from the ColorStar Service manual was *VERY* helpful ... and I would imagine ... of great use in "aligning" the ColorStar. I will write an article containing the information and post it here, in the "articles" section.

Information: A display of "E..." does NOT indicate a complete system error; it indicates an EEPROM programming error, and there is a process that will correct the error.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin