Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,900   Online: 1149

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was going to suggest that for a person with allergies, I would leave it to professionals. But I am still under the influence of the customer service related thread going on elswhere on APUG and realized that trying to get answers from people who are supposed to know them might make an allergic reaction and a trip to the emergency room seem more pleasing.
    All I know about wasps is that if there are two or three always present then it is an issue of nearby or concealed nesting - I would bet you just haven't found the tricky little place and the tricky little way they use to access it, and your darkroom. Its amazing how little room they need for either. If not professional help, someone who is likely to suffer less dire consequences from a potential sting should go in there and perfom a more thorough inspection that you would under the duress of fearing a potentially very harmful sting.

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    I don't know about normal bug sprays that might be darkroom safe, but one tip for you- if you need something household-safe to take down wasps and/or other flying insects, Windex with Ammonia does an amazing job. The ammonia dissolves their wings and they drop out of the sky, then it dissolves their exoskeleton, and they suffocate on the ammonia fumes. Nasty way to go, but better them than you. If there are always a few of them in your darkroom, I suspect they have a nest you just can't see - either in the ductwork or behind the walls/ceiling.
    I tried the Windex w/ammonia, it dissolved the wings, but he kept walking around looking like he had an attitude. Going to add more ammonia. Pat
    [SIZE=2]Shadow Catcher[/SIZE]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, once they're down, you can swat them at your leisure. If you get the kind of Windex that clings to the glass, it's even nastier for the bug.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had two hornets (big wasps) in my darkroom/attic recently. To be quite honest it is too hot to go in there during the day at this time of year.

Les

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka
    But you have to understand, after getting used to that -40 winter weather, Wisconsinites (and folks in northern Mich as well) start whining about the heat when the temp gets above 65F.

The aggressive wasps are European imports - those native to North America nest in the ground. If they are attaching their nests to buildings etc they are the other kind - the ones that show up en masse and steal the hamburger off your plate when you do backyard barbeque.

Bob
    Those are the ones! Blasted things! And trust me... it gets hot here... and humid. Right now (it's 12:28pm CST), it's 88deg F, and the humidity is 59%. We are located on a large body of water, you know! heheheh

If you are allergic (I am as well, so I know your concerns) you can either battle them yourself (with an EPI-pen in one hand & wasp spray in the other), or get someone who's not allergic to take care of it for you. Have them seal any place where the devils are coming in, too. Good luck!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Large Format
    W.A.S.Ps? White Anglo Saxon Protestants? Just ask them to leave. Most of them are very polite people.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks all!

I called in the local council (round within 20 minutes!!!). The nest was in a shed next door (phew!) and the guy reckoned they liked the smell in my darkroom! Alternatively, he reckons they might have been hibernating in the roof space and got in somehow. I haven't seen any in there since yesterday morning and I've re-sealed around any visible cracks with duct tape. When they first appeared I was selenium toning some prints and in my hurry to escape I left a trayful out - maybe the ammonia fumes got to them! Hopefully I can get printing again tomorrow!

Rob

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Weren't the local council mostly W.A.S.P.s too?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about double-barel?

Just joking. I would ask some friend to solve the problem with newspaper or similar. Chemicals can affect you lens too. Or just leave it several days in and they are death.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    Weren't the local council mostly W.A.S.P.s too?
    Quite likely... Norfolk was one of the main Anglo Saxon settlement areas when they migrated to (i.e. invaded) what was to later become England.

Indeed, "Norfolk" itself is of Anglo Saxon / Old English origin (which is itself mostly from Old Norse): i.e. "Nordfolc" (land of the northern people). That part of eastern England is called East Anglia. It does not take an expert linguist to translate that as having come from the Old English for the "Eastern Angles".

The Church of England is Protestant of course. Skin colour is highly variable however.

Here endeth the history lesson...

Cheers, Bob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin