Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,592   Online: 1201

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Help!- wasps invading my darkroom

I haven't been able to get in my darkroom for a couple of weeks now as there are always 2 or 3 wasps in there. I'm allergic to wasp stings so I can't take the risk. Fortunately, there's no sign of them nesting, but I'd like to know if any of the normal chemical insect sprays are safe to use anywhere near photographic materials. Anybody else had this problem?

Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not use an acid stop bath?
    Contact your local pest control people and let them have the fun of dealing with the wasps - how did the wasps get in?

Lachlan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know about normal bug sprays that might be darkroom safe, but one tip for you- if you need something household-safe to take down wasps and/or other flying insects, Windex with Ammonia does an amazing job. The ammonia dissolves their wings and they drop out of the sky, then it dissolves their exoskeleton, and they suffocate on the ammonia fumes. Nasty way to go, but better them than you.

If there are always a few of them in your darkroom, I suspect they have a nest you just can't see - either in the ductwork or behind the walls/ceiling.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't had a problem with them in the darkroom, but they are a constant problem on the boat. I would try a wasp trap, which is basically a soda bottle with a narrow mouth attached like this one http://www.groworganic.com/item_PIT9...eWaspTrap.html.

Then get someone who is not allergic to find and remove the lnest. The wasps we have here are not aggressive, but I don't know about English species.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those White Anglo Saxon Protestants are everywhere.

(sorry -I couldn't resist)
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    ... The wasps we have here are not aggressive, but I don't know about English species.
    Maybe not in your neck of the woods, but the ones up here get down right surly! Especially if it's really hot! :o
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure they are wasps? Might be bees or hoverflies - I can never tell the difference - usually too busy moving in the opposite direction! Only bumblebees are easily distinguishable to me...

Without a source of food, I think the wasps/bees would be dead in a day if locked in the room. If wasps are always about then you may have a nest nearby. If so, the simplest solution is to call the local council who will destroy it (might charge 20 or 30 quid). If they are bees, find your local apiarist and they will probably remove the bees for you FOC if there is a hive nearby (if they turn out to be wasps, they might kill them FOC too - not a great fan of wasps, your average beekeeper!).

To kill a wasp's nest yourself I found that the powder insecticides that you can buy for that specific purpose worked very well.

Good luck, Bob.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Maybe not in your neck of the woods, but the ones up here get down right surly! Especially if it's really hot! :o
    Really hot? In Wisconsin? Try DC in August, or points south any time after this month.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    Really hot? In Wisconsin? Try DC in August, or points south any time after this month.
    But you have to understand, after getting used to that -40 winter weather, Wisconsinites (and folks in northern Mich as well) start whining about the heat when the temp gets above 65F.

The aggressive wasps are European imports - those native to North America nest in the ground. If they are attaching their nests to buildings etc they are the other kind - the ones that show up en masse and steal the hamburger off your plate when you do backyard barbeque.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bang...

You could always shoot them, and see what develops....
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin