Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,267   Posts: 1,534,339   Online: 753

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ilford filters have 2 diffrent dencities for all the filters, making it easy to get the correct exp
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would second the advice to avoid under the lens filtration. You will get alright results, but its just a multitude of added hassles: one more surface for dust/dirt to attachitself to (I know, out of focus, but still), and you pay top dollar for a good enlarging lens - lets not give it a piece of plastic to have to work through.
    Right now I use Ilford, before I used Agfa. They all seem to differ a touch, but the main point is getting a set and getting consistent - the same effects will be possible with both, albeit at perhaps slightly different settings, exposure times, actual filter grades, etc. When I switched, I had to adjust a bit - it was a pain, but a minor one. The Ilford filters were thinner and easier to cut to fit my filter drawer - it was the only reason for the switch.
    The one place I would not advise cutting costs is not getting filters to fit your drawer properly and leaving them under the lens.

Peter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Kodak has also produced 6x6 Polycontrast filters that work well with Ilford paper. It's commendable to support your local photo shop, but if they don't have what you need, try the major online shops or ebay.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good choice. The filter sets will be different but it matters little. The contrast extremes may be different and the contrast spread might vary too, but again, who cares. None of these sets will be given true ISO contrast at the given filter numbers anyway. Filter numbers and ISO contrast have little in common.

I have used filters above and below the lens, and would only use below-the-lens filters again. Switching between filters within the print is much easier that way. As long as the filters are scratch-free and clean, there is no detectable difference.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree with Ralph. I have never seen filters degrade the image from being below the lens. Maybe years ago but not now.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Again a big thanks to all of your for the advice. It is greatly appreciated, looking forward to getting this setup to work.

Thanx Again.

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

pedantic questions about VC filtration

I've got notes that Rosco Green 58 and Blue 47B are what I used in the recent Les & Lee workshop. I've got a handful of VC filter questions, too.

• Lee: I hunted around a bit and found this post about the source for the gel material you use. Aside from the price, should this still be good info? Anything particular about the glass you use for your sandwich, or should garden variety home improvement store glass do?

• Since various film/developer combinations result in different color b&w negs (especially with staining developers like Pyrocat), wouldn't the effectiveness of the filter be different depending on whether it's placed above or below the negative? My enlarger has one drawer between the lens and the negative (just above the lensboard) and another one between the condenser and the negative. I would think the former would results more "purer" colored light hitting the desired emulsion layer in the VC paper?

• What role does the color of the Pyro stain play with different printing materials? When printing with Pyro negs and the above-mentioned filters, is there any value in letting the color of the stain project through onto the paper?

• Finally (and probably for most, thankfully finally), are the Green 58 and Blue 47B primarily good for Illford MG or should they work for other VC like Kentmere?
    Thanks,

-KwM-
    Last edited by kwmullet; 06-20-2006 at 05:36 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: punctuation, clarity

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Kevin,

That Omega enlarger with the Aristo head has the green and blue lights and it doesn't care what VC paper it exposes.

You might go over to Dallas to Dallas Camera off Farington St and see the Rosco filters they have. That is where I went to get the filter material we used on the Durst enlarger. The glass was purchased at Brunswanger Glass down on White Settlement. Just glass. the price was about 5 dollars a sheet for the green and the blue filter materials.

point #2. I would not worry about the "purer" light hitting the paper.
    All you are doing is coloring the light either green or blue and photons are photon and don't care where the color comes from.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Lee. I'll give Dallas Camera a holler.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Kevin,

point #2. I would not worry about the "purer" light hitting the paper.
    All you are doing is coloring the light either green or blue and photons are photon and don't care where the color comes from.

lee\c
    Lee, I think that it is important to note that filters do not color any light. They work by removing all other colors...that is why they appear a certain color. Just wanted to correct what you may have meant to say.

In other words, filters add nothing...they remove.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin