Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,254   Online: 770

Shooter
    Multi Format

Chromegatrol Problems

OK, so I managed to track down a replacement cyan filter for my Omega Super Chromega Dichroic 2 Color Head and that is winging toward me, but the final (I hope) problem appears to be the Chromegatrol timer not functioning properly instead of having a bad lamp socket.

I put a voltmeter on the leads of the lamp and I only get a sporadic bump of voltage occasionally as I hit the expose lever or flip back and forth between the focus and expose lever.

1. The fan on the head works.

2. The safelight comes on after exposure and goes off during exposure, but no printing lamp.

3. I hear the relay pull in and out as it should but nothing happens.

4. The CC dial light works on the head as it should.

Took the cover off and found what is obviously an enclosed relay mounted on the PC board; it has been my experience on old motion picture printers that used these mechanical relays, that they could go bad and still sound like they were functioning properly.

I suspect the relay has a contact either burned-off or pitted so badly that it cannot pass voltage when activated.

Anyone have practical experience repairing this unit? It is the Chromegatrol I unit, NOT the II with microprocessor control.

Thanks.

Frank
    Last edited by Kino; 06-18-2006 at 10:09 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fix stupid error

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Frank,

While you probably know this, the enlarger lamp runs on 24VAC. Your power supply may be dead rather than the timer (my omega has a separate timer and power supply, I don't know if yours does).

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If all else fails, check with Midwest Photo. Last fqll they had quite a few Chromegatrols on shelves in the basement.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If all else fails, check with Midwest Photo. Last fall they had quite a few Chromegatrols on shelves in the basement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Starr
    If all else fails, check with Midwest Photo. Last fall they had quite a few Chromegatrols on shelves in the basement.
    Thanks Dave! I should have thought of that, I am about an hour away!

Frank

Shooter
    35mm
    Check the relay as well as the 24V supply. Relay can be replaced fairly easy. Since it's a stabilized power supply, some semiconductor parts in the stablizing circuit can be bad. Actually, semiconductors are available for a long time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin